General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I buy a Land Rover? (Worried about leaking)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 04:24 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a Land Rover? (Worried about leaking)

Yup, I'm asking that question, in a Land Rover forum.
I love the look of the Discoveries, I really want to buy one, but all I ever hear is how bad they leak (Oil, Coolant, etc...).

So I want to ask you, the pros with intimate knowledge:
  1. Are the leaks THAT bad?
  2. Are they THAT unavoidable?
  3. Are they generally leaks from places that don't affect performance (Valve Covers, drain pans...) or are they often leaks that are going to require down-time and lots of work (Head gaskets, tranny...)?

I do all my own wrenching. I just want to make sure these things are reliable, and that I've got realistic expectations around leakage while I shop for one.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Old 07-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

What year?

Old 07-08-2016, 06:59 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at 1998-2004 Discoverys. I know to stay away from the '03, per the bad oil pumps (but that's about all I know).

I test drove an '04 yesterday that left 5 or 6 big oil drops on the ground after being parked for just 5 minutes, plus it was smoking pretty bad from burnt oil. Surely that's excessive, even for the Land Rovers right?

Old 07-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

A 1998 would be a Discovery Series I, the first generation model. A 1999 can be a series 1 or a series 2 (DII). 2000-2004 are all series II Discovery's. Different engines, body panels, wheels, interior and so on.

Understand that a Land Rover Discovery isn't a Toyota. They are unique vehicles that require attention and maintenance. But, to me and many others at least, they are worth it. I would advise getting one that has detailed service records and a clean history. Avoid one with any type of excessive rust. Have it checked out before purchasing if you can.

If one is leaking oil excessively, there is probably a seal or gasket issue that could cost $$ to repair. They all leak oil, but you want one that isn't excessive. Be patient and wait for the right one.

And lastly, be damn sure the sunroof's dont leak. Many of the Discovery I's have a major sunroof leaking issue. There isn't really an easy fix and interior water will ruin everything. It is very hard to find a DI in good shape these days. There are many more DII's available. In my opinion, I would look for a clean 2004. It was the last year of the original Discovery body style.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Know that the factory dash cluster gauges will not accurately read higher than average coolant temps and low oil pressure. These gauges read Zero, at "Normal," then straight to impending doom with one of those red light indicators and the "Check Engine" following in very short order. Have also read of new purchases where ABS, CEL, etc indicators completely disabled, bulbs removed and so on. Many enthusiasts have pledged to always use an OBD2 reader with live data mode or other misc software for tapping into the ECU via OBD socket. Don't buy one before confirming diagnostics, fault codes, MIL status. Plenty of affordable gadgets out there. The coolant temp will get up to 230-240 deg F before the dash gauge begins to move, where it then goes directly to the red. A Rover V8 that has been running at 210 or more has a higher susceptibility to the known issues like cracked block, loosened cylinder sleeve, faulty headgaskets, over-pressurized cooling system. Be aware.