General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slight Knocking and No Radio...Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:15 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Knocking and No Radio...Help

I just bought a 97 range rover with the 4.0 v8 (104k miles).

I have a couple questions.

I didnt notice it when I bought it, but now I am starting to hear a slight knocking noise from the engine. I cant really narrow down exactly where its coming from, just that its somewhere in or around the engine. Are there any common problems that this might be.

Second, everything electronic works in the vehicle except the radio. It wont even turn on. Any ideas.

Lastly, before I mention what I paid, what does everyone think this one was worth. It is excellent condition inside and out.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Slight Knocking and No Radio...Help

Does the radio have power to it, does it just need a security code to activate it?
Rover engines are known for noises at times, exhaust manifold studs break, engines can get get gummed up causing enternal engine noises. Look a little closer and try to get us a little better idea of where the noise is located.
Mike

Old 04-30-2006, 02:53 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slight Knocking and No Radio...Help

I got the radio working. Turns out that someone had put in an aftermarket stereo, and then to sell, they bought a re-man stock radio and didnt connect the wires back properly. Gotta love hacks.

I have done some more investigating on the knocking noise. You can hear it best when you rev the engine to 1000-1200 rpms. I used a mechanics stethescope to try and pin point the location. I did not get any knocking off either valve cover, either exhaust manifold, the intake plenum, engine block, or tranny. The only place I could hear the knocking is when I put the scope on the oil pan and bell housing. I am leaning towards the possibility of a bad rod bearing. I am going to pull the bell housing inspection plate and check in there as well, but the strongest sound was coming from the oil pan.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a decent knowledge of cars and mechanics, just a newbie when it comes to LR's.

Thanks