General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stale smoke smell from A/C, aesthetic parts in CF, sound upgrade, lidar, other mod ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stale smoke smell from A/C, aesthetic parts in CF, sound upgrade, lidar, other mod ?s

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to LR entirely. Just took delivery of my 2016 RR S/C fully loaded with everything but the RSE (See pics). I have a few questions for y'all...well, not a few...SEVERAL...if you can help. Being new, if I have posted in the wrong forums, or if I need to separate these out, please respond and redirect. I am happy to do so! Thank you all in advance for your feedback!

1) There's been a strange stale smoke smell (almost like the smell of a motel room blanket that's been left in a smoker-friendly room for 30 years) coming out of my A/C when on normal settings (i.e. 72, half fan speed, rear A/C off), and the dealer keeps telling me it goes away after a week, but he also said that most people don't put 500+ miles on in their first week. I've been through two tanks of gas so far, and it's been suggested to me by the service guy and sales managers (who don't smell it when they get in, but my girlfriend and other friends do...I believe the LR folks are wearing too much perfume or cologne) that it's the new shrink wrap they put on everything burning off. But I've had, well 15 cars in 12 years, almost all except two, were bought brand new. They each had a "new car smell," and the engine always puts off a "you just broke me in" smell in those first 500 miles if you accelerate abnormally, rev a bit more than 3800rpms, or drive for long distances where the external tire layer burns off, but this is NOTHING like that. I have NEVER smelled anything like this in any car before, and my first LRs had the sweet smell of the U.K. on them (not sure what that is, however), and this one smells great until I start it and suddenly, WHAM, stale smoke smell as soon as the A/C hits. It doesn't go away except after I run the A/C on MAX A/C for an extended period of time and it becomes less noticeable. It may be getting better slightly, but after 500 miles it's still highly noticeable. Has anyone else noticed this in their new 13+ RRs, or even 15+?

2) It's Carpathian Gray/Ebony Interior/Ebony Morzine, diamond coated 707s (22"). I want to add some aesthetic appeal to it aside from its intrinsic appeal. I've checked out Hamann, Overfinch, even the Korean part makers on eBay, and nobody seems to make much for this car besides the Dark Atlas package, which even at my incredible "new car owner" discount on parts, is still overpriced.
a) Any suggestions on where I can get a set of Carbon Fiber gills, for instance?
b) Or what color to paint/wrap the indus silver rocker trim that follows to the backside?
c) Also I want to replace lettering with black lettering. is dealer best place to buy this?
d) Should I let my wrap guy (he's excellent!) wrap the front end and put those letters on above the wrap since he can't individually wrap each letter?
c) Thoughts on Dark Atlas vs. other options - please, if you know of companies aside from Overfinch, Hamann, or Kahn (I also remember a guy out in Los Angeles, CA that did stellar aftermarket work in the mid-2000s, but I can't find his company on Google and forgot the name) that make aftermarket external (or internal) aesthetics...list away!
d) Where can I get the best looking replacement grille, be it the SV or Autobiography OEM, matte black or custom color painting the current one, replacing the current one with a new OEM black one, or carbon fiber, if available?
d1) Can I even order SV or autobiography OEM parts without a matching VIN to prove, short of having a "friend" in the parts dept.?

3) Would like to soup up the exhaust and Hamann seems to be the best option next to Overfinch's rear diffuser/exhaust openings (which are pretty sweet, but don't know if my tow package will fit) -- any suggestions? Everyone has opinions... :-D

4) Anyone know about interior carbon fiber enhancements?

5) I have a Beltronics STIR+ (NA) with AL Priority Laser system with BT connectivity and a SmartCord system. It's a TON of wiring that I pulled out of my '15 M3. Should I sell it and buy the Stinger fiber-optic radar/laser - it's an $8000+ installation...

6) How can I do my own coding? Will my BMW ODBII Ethernet CANBUS cord work with any existing software? i want to unlock the DVD player, turn off sounds, change some functionality, etc, if that is possible on here. My last Rover ('05 HSE w/ RSE) required a kit to bypass the motion-sensing NAV screen freeze up front. I'm also considering an aftermarket RSE system, as I was told the factory one is good, but there are betters out there if done right...any suggestions?

7) I bought running boards and mudflaps after the delivery - dealer wanted $880 for install labor, so I went to several other folks with experience in the Atlanta area, and all quoted me $500 or less. Best offer I got was $300. Would you attempt this install yourself (it seems fairly cut and dry), and if so, how long did it take you if you have? Or would you just shell out the $300 and get it done right? The sales manager/dealer said it's not going to void the warranty unless it destroys the undercarriage or I have undercarriage seal/integrity issues and they can link it to those parts being improperly installed. The instructions are with them, and they basically use factory mounts and handful of drilled holes to attach under the rocker panels and wheel wells. Thoughts?

8) Last question - I have Focal K2 KRS100 slim replacements I used in my front doors of the M3 I have on consignment here in Atlanta. They can be used in the Meridian upgraded 825w system, but my sound guys are saying in order not to bypass the DSP (I don't want to use the Audison equipment they sold me again, and I think the Meridian is actually pretty sweet, but the tweeter and midrage cones could use an upgrade) I have to buy a second JL XD800/2x1 (8-channel amp) or two 9 channels to make sure I get all 18 speakers +center amplified correctly. Is this true, and can I fit a Gladen 6.5" midrange that was designed to fit int he BMW underseat subwoofer slot into the door where the current 6.5" midrange is located? My goal would be to put my Focals in place of the current 1.5" and 3.5" tweeters, somehow get those Gladen 6.5"'ers in there, and if at all possible, maybe switch the sub for my JLw6v3 10", but that would mean a space-eating enclosure, short of a $1000 custom enclosure built into the side of the trunk. What have you guys done for sound upgrades without bypassing the DSP, or is it worth doing and with what equipment?

SORRY!!! I KNOW THAT'S A LOT, but I'm a new owner coming back to LR after 10 years with the last one being a total lemon ('05 RR HSE loaded to the top), despite LOVING it. It was very sad spending nearly 8/10 months in an loaner LR4...

MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Jordan R.
(404) 791-7153 if anyone has feedback or professional guidance they'd like to offer via phone...(don't worry, thats a forwarding number ;-) )

P.S. If someone wants to get together in the Atlanta area and put the funds together for a commercial-grade large 3-D printer and start printing parts...HIT ME UP!
P.P.S. I will repost some of these in the proper subforums, now that I realize they are probably meant to be spread out...that said, the STALE SMOKE is the critical one!

Attached Thumbnails Stale smoke smell from A/C, aesthetic parts in CF, sound upgrade, lidar, other mod ?s-img_0218.jpg   Stale smoke smell from A/C, aesthetic parts in CF, sound upgrade, lidar, other mod ?s-img_0222.jpg   Stale smoke smell from A/C, aesthetic parts in CF, sound upgrade, lidar, other mod ?s-img_0223.jpg