General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering -Steering Pump and Front End

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering -Steering Pump and Front End

Hey Everyone,

About 4 weeks ago I picked up a beautiful 2004 Disco. It needs some work, mainly in the gasket area with all the common leaks most have. I'll be getting to that a little later... on another date....

Right now I would like to take care of the front end. I do have the wonderful death wobble, its not so noticeable under 40Mph but its there... I might have gotten used to it by now but you defiantly feel the wheels moving around under you when going over bumps while steering wheel is not adjusting accordantly.

I brought my Disco in to a Land Rover shop that is not actually Land Rover. With how busy they are and all the positive feed back online I wanted to see what they had to say.

They gave me a good list of work again mainly gasket work... but looking at what they had to say about my steering...

They said the steering pump needs replacement and that its leaking heavily.

I looked at my PS fluid and it is on the lower end of the levels but checking on it since I got it, I have not seen it drop. I will say the fluid looks pretty dark and old.

Along with the power steering pump they also wanted to replace the suction hose.

I'm wondering why the suction hose, it looks fine to me? Is this a common hose with steering that needs to be replaced? I understand the power steering system to a point in the Disco and the hoses that connect it. So I'm just wondering why that hose and not the others?

I'm also wondering about the steering fluid... I know this can be its own post but just one question...

The Land Rover Power Steering Fluid... in the video on replacing the power steering pump on rover-parts they say how that fluid will make the pump last longer. I'm just wondering if thats marketing and just a sales pitch and if there is any proof to that?

The other thing the LR shop said all my Tie Rod ends are lose/worn.

I would like to just go ahead and replace the set up with a heaver system

These are the ones LR people put on for Tie Rod and Drag Link
Drag Link Complete (Same Fit As Genuine Part # QHG000050) For Land Rover Discovery II | Land Rover Steering Parts
Track Rod Complete (Part # TIQ000010) | Land Rover Steering Parts

I was intersted in the Terrafirma Track Rod & Drag Link Assembly Land Rover Discovery 2 Terrafirma Steering Rods - from what I read online it looks like a good set up.

So here is just a quick recap of the parts I'm getting, would love to get your thoughts but these seem straight forward.

Steering Damper
Old Man Emu Steering Damper (Same Fit As Genuine Part # OMESDO2) | Land Rover Steering Parts

Steering Pump
Land Rover Discovery II Steering Pump (Fits Part #QVB500080)

Steering Fluid ( need to research this)
ACE And Power Steering Fluid Range Rover Sport

Track Rod and Tie Rod
Land Rover Discovery 2 Terrafirma Steering Rods

Thanks again everyone! Exited to be apart of this community

Urusla

Old 05-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Update

Going to start on front end first before I tackle the steering pump.

I have been watching the levels on the steering pump and they have not dropped at all since I got the truck. So I figure I will keep that pump running till it starts to really crap out on me.

I was wondering if I should change the steering fluid as it is pretty dark looking... but then again should I mess with it if its still working?

I bought the Terrafirma Track Rod & Drag Link Assembly along with a EMU Steering Damper.

Will have the parts on Friday and will install that day or the next. Looking forward to seeing how much play this will take out from the steering and what if anything else will need to be replaced to get that steering dialed in.

check back for before and after pictures and results!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Hold off on installing the steering damper as this will only mask the problems. Get the other parts installed, then test drive. If the death wobble is gone, then install the steering damper.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by abran
Hold off on installing the steering damper as this will only mask the problems. Get the other parts installed, then test drive. If the death wobble is gone, then install the steering damper.

Thanks! Thats a good point! I will do a few test drives with the Damper off to see how see how she handles.

I'll post my results this weekend.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursula
Thanks! Thats a good point! I will do a few test drives with the Damper off to see how see how she handles.

I'll post my results this weekend.
What are the results??

Old 06-22-2015, 03:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
i agree with this as well ,

and also check the wheel bearings.

and the swivel pins as well .

Old 06-23-2015, 06:38 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well you have a D2 so there are no swivel pins or wheel bearings to check, what you have is full enclosed hubs front and rear.
Yes, you can change the power steering fluid especially if you have ACE.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Did you get the problem with wobble in your steering addressed? what was the issue, in particular? which parts have you replaced?

Old 06-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
well you have a D2 so there are no swivel pins or wheel bearings to check, what you have is full enclosed hubs front and rear.
Yes, you can change the power steering fluid especially if you have ACE.
No wheel bearings you say ???? our models here a re different , but there must be a bearing , if the wheel turns.............

see for yourself -
warning explicit language in it ,,,,

Old 06-24-2015, 06:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

justryan,

I will try this once again, as i know your trying to help.

but DII does not have serviceable wheel bearings, it is a fulling enclosed hub as stated.

You may want to watch your u tube video at the 3-minute mark where he explains that it is a full enclosed hub non-serviceable and if there is any issue it requires the complete hub to be replaced.

Last edited by drowssap; 06-24-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering -Steering Pump and Front End