General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering -Steering Pump and Front End

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursula
I know right? I bought it as a kit... so I don't know if that had anything to do with it... but I would have been happy to send back the defected tie rod ends only for some new ones... been waiting almost 3 weeks.
When I used to deal with AB in the early 80's they were forever out of stock on stuff (they were pretty good in the 70's). I'd call to order something, they'd be out of stock, then a year later I'd get a post card saying my item was in stock. That was when I pretty much quit dealing with them and went nearly 100% with DAP.

In addition to the 4 tie rod ends (ball joints) there are two ball joints per steering knuckle. If worn they will alllow wobble.

A worn steering pump won't cause the symptoms you've described.
Read this thread, it mostly applies to DII's as well. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-wobble-55586/
Ignore the part about loose wheel bearings (if your unit bearings were loose enough to cause wobble they'd be howling as well) and the part about swivel pins, the DII doesn't have them, it has ball joints.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

slow down ordering parts, replace one at a time. two things are going to happen you will waist a ton of money and you will never know the actual cause.

also TF uses RRC/D1 tierod ends so they shouldn't be a three week wait

Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Baja

IMO no parts should be replaced until a good diagnostic is done and then start with what looks iffy, one at a time. Or in sets. Like I wouldn't replace just one upper ball joint for example. I'd replace all 4.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
so your advice to people who don't know any better is:

Is to check the swivel ***** which their truck is not even equipt with, then after wasting that time.
they then can start checking the non replaceable wheel bearings, only to find out they can only replace the hubs as a complete assembly.

yes, you sir have the island mentality
Is there anything else you want to say ....??? ( while i sip on some coconut water & johnny walker ) have a nice day sir...

Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
When I used to deal with AB in the early 80's they were forever out of stock on stuff (they were pretty good in the 70's). I'd call to order something, they'd be out of stock, then a year later I'd get a post card saying my item was in stock. That was when I pretty much quit dealing with them and went nearly 100% with DAP.

In addition to the 4 tie rod ends (ball joints) there are two ball joints per steering knuckle. If worn they will alllow wobble.

A worn steering pump won't cause the symptoms you've described.
Read this thread, it mostly applies to DII's as well. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-wobble-55586/
Ignore the part about loose wheel bearings (if your unit bearings were loose enough to cause wobble they'd be howling as well) and the part about swivel pins, the DII doesn't have them, it has ball joints.

Thanks for that great info! I will look into the ball joints to see what condition they are in.

When I had my Disco looked at the two things that are steering related they found needed to be replaced are my Tie-Rods and power steering pump.

I will start there and work my way to the other parts.

Just checked on my parts and it looks like one of them will be here in the next day.... the other one has not even shipped.... grrrr

I went with Atlantic British because I really liked all of the helpful videos and resoucres they have but I might need to look else where if this is how long I have to wait on parts....

Old 06-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Three Wheeling

I think I am just going to order a set of Ball Joints, since I will be putting on new tires and front end next week might as well put on some new ball joints.

I was just wondering if anyone had a recombination of which ones I should get?

If I get them from Atlantic British it will be about $111.00 or I found a set of 4 that come with locking nuts for $84.00

FTC 3571 / FTC 3570 | FTC3571 / FTC3570 | - | Land Rover Range Rover Front Set of 2 Upper Set of 2 Lower Ball Joint Kit | New-Part.com

thoughts?

and thank you!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I think I am just going to order a set of Ball Joints, since I will be putting on new tires and front end next week might as well put on some new ball joints.

I was just wondering if anyone had a recombination of which ones I should get?

If I get them from Atlantic British it will be about $111.00 or I found a set of 4 that come with locking nuts for $84.00

FTC 3571 / FTC 3570 | FTC3571 / FTC3570 | - | Land Rover Range Rover Front Set of 2 Upper Set of 2 Lower Ball Joint Kit | New-Part.com

thoughts?

and thank you!
I like to get parts like this at my local automotive retailer like NAPA or Oreillys. You can get what you need the same day and if you run into any surprises you can go up there and exchange, refund and if ordered before noon they can get you exactly what you need in a couple of hours if it's not on-hand. It's all the same ****.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Baja

Rovahfarm has good prices on them.
RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

And Trevor is great to deal with.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the info as to where to buy from! For some reason I felt with these Discos I had to get more of a "land Rover" part and that would mean buying online.

But I guess at the end of the day things like ball joints are the same all over... I might pick them up at NAPA if I can't get them here sooner then from roverfarm.com

Thanks of that website a well! Some nicely priced products there...

Old 06-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts
Default exact...

Thanks for the info as to where to buy from! For some reason I felt with these Discos I had to get more of a "land Rover" part and that would mean buying online.

But I guess at the end of the day things like ball joints are the same all over... I might pick them up at NAPA if I can't get them here sooner then from roverfarm.com

Thanks of that website a well! Some nicely priced products there...

The upper and lower ball joints that I just bought from Napa looked identical to the OEM that came off of it in size and shape to the last detail, and they were manufactured in Germany or something like that, so they are imported. Its not Land Rover but somebody has a great knock-off. But do purchase the more expensive parts if you go commercial automotive.

Quick Reply: Steering -Steering Pump and Front End