General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering -Steering Pump and Front End

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
justryan,

I will try this once again, as i know your trying to help.

but DII does not have serviceable wheel bearings, it is a fulling enclosed hub as stated.

You may want to watch your u tube video at the 3-minute mark where he explains that it is a full enclosed hub non-serviceable and if there is any issue it requires the complete hub to be replaced.
i understand what you are getting at .... but that's why some of you get ripped off....... we here explain how and why to the customer , where did i say serviceable wheel bearings ?? yes it is a fully enclosed hub, but which part of it could be bad ?? what usually goes bad in the hub ? you may know it all , but the reason for the forum is for those who don't know to learn , and who know's to explain to them ...

Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

so your advice to people who don't know any better is:

Is to check the swivel ***** which their truck is not even equipt with, then after wasting that time.
they then can start checking the non replaceable wheel bearings, only to find out they can only replace the hubs as a complete assembly.

yes, you sir have the island mentality

Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
What are the results??

Hey Everyone, sorry on the delay here, work got crazy busy...

I was not able to replace my Drag link and Track rod because both came damaged.... the rubber boots had rips on them and Atlantic British was out of stock for a little while...

Good news is I just got the email with new tracking numbers! Woot! So the replacement parts are on the way.

I will be replacing them this weekend for sure and will post back.

I feel that this will not solve my issue because I think the play in the steering is happening from the steering wheel to the steering pump... but I am not sure because when I drive I can feel the wheels moving on there own to the grove of the road. I will start with the front end and work my way to the steering pump.

Updates coming soon.

I will say that the Terraframe parts are much much stronger looking then the stock ones she came with.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

like twice the size and weight

Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drowssap
like twice the size and weight
Yes on the size... and weight... I was almost wondering if all that weight was okay?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursula
I was not able to replace my Drag link and Track rod because both came damaged.... the rubber boots had rips on them and Atlantic British was out of stock for a little while...
Were they unable to figure out how to just ship you new tie-rod ends to replace the damaged ones?
But, better late than never I guess.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by antichrist
Were they unable to figure out how to just ship you new tie-rod ends to replace the damaged ones?
But, better late than never I guess.
I know right? I bought it as a kit... so I don't know if that had anything to do with it... but I would have been happy to send back the defected tie rod ends only for some new ones... been waiting almost 3 weeks.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts
Default I don't know a whole lot...

Originally Posted by Ursula
Hey Everyone, sorry on the delay here, work got crazy busy...

Good news is I just got the email with new tracking numbers! Woot! So the replacement parts are on the way.

I will be replacing them this weekend for sure and will post back.

I feel that this will not solve my issue because I think the play in the steering is happening from the steering wheel to the steering pump... but I am not sure because when I drive I can feel the wheels moving on there own to the grove of the road. I will start with the front end and work my way to the steering pump.

Updates coming soon.

I will say that the Terraframe parts are much much stronger looking then the stock ones she came with.

the times when I had wobble in the steering wheel, my tie-rod joints were worn. I thought the same this time in my disco but those parts look good and I believe it is relative to the lower ball joint worn out on one side. Hopefully I am able to replace it this weekend and will confirm. may want to check your ball joints as well, as I did not see you mention that.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

the times when I had wobble in the steering wheel, my tie-rod joints were worn. I thought the same this time in my disco but those parts look good and I believe it is relative to the lower ball joint worn out on one side. Hopefully I am able to replace it this weekend and will confirm. may want to check your ball joints as well, as I did not see you mention that.

Or maybe we are talking about 2 different types of steering wobble here. I'm only familiar with wobble in the vicinity of the actual wheels, yours could be coming from higher up...if that makes sense

Old 06-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Or maybe we are talking about 2 different types of steering wobble here. I'm only familiar with wobble in the vicinity of the actual wheels, yours could be coming from higher up...if that makes sense
hmmm good question... I am still learning everything there is about these trucks. When you say ball joint, are you talking about the ball joints in the tie rod ends or swivel arm or something else? Sorry if I sound dumb here....

The wobble I have feels like hydroplaning, if I am on a bumpy road I can feel the wheels moving under me while the wheel is not.

Its almost like I have 2 to 3 inches of play in the wheel before the wheels engage.

At highway speeds if I hit a bump... well I say a prayer and hold on as the front vibrates and I can feel those wheels dancing. (I hardly go on the highway with her because of this issue) Hard fast stoping and I can feel them dance down there as well.

The reason why I think Its at the steering pump is because I had a buddy turn the wheel and I watched the steering arm move all the way down to the pump and then the wheels would move. Again like 2 to 3 inches of play.

I will be ordering a new steering pump this week as well.

Quick Reply: Steering -Steering Pump and Front End