General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering sticks and is loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like that would be a serious problem!! My entire steering problem is: loose when steering to the right, locks in place when turning right occasionally, is tight steering to the left, and has some free play in the steering while driving straight, but the free play is only to the right. Not sure what a Flandie is or where the bulkhead would be but I'll figure it out. Again I am much more familiar with engines than suspension or steering components. Luckily I work with USDOT certified mechanics (that build race cars for side work) and only have to bring them cookies in exchange for diagnosing issues. Thanks for all the ideas thus far, and I will keep you posted on the remedies.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Ok, so after talking with the mechanics at work, it's amazing how intimidated people get when you mention Land Rover and no help from them, I adjusted the steering box adjustment screw a full 3/4 turn (1/8 turn at a time) and the steering is much tighter. I also inspected the undercarriage steering components and it seems that I will need all new ball joints?, sway bar links?, whatever they are. Any insights as to what all the components are and who makes the best? I also noticed that there is a bar attached to the top of both things on the inside of the wheels but only attached the the bottom of the passanger wheel. I don't see where it would attach to anything on any linkages, so not sure if anything is missing? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

It's normal. The steering rod would connect there on RHD cars, but since you've got LHD it's hooked up to the other side.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Drifting

Ah hah! Thanks! Would you happen to have the component names of the ball joint type of links that are under there that I need to replace?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I think land rover calls them drag link and track rod. You can buy them as new tubes with the joints already attached. You can also get heavy duty versions.

Www.rovahfarm.com
Lucky8llc.com
Roversnorth.com
Roverparts.com

Or you could probably call PT Schram or Will Tillery.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Thanks again. I'll look into all of those. Fairly certain that with three replacement of those parts, a new steering dampener and an alignment everything should be perfect. That is until I lift it, then I'm sure a while new set of issues will arise. But first the rest of the steering and then the exhaust, that's a whole other subject. Thanks for everyone's help!