General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Still overheating disco2

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you have a leak. air is getting into the system elsewhere. i would have it pressure tested.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pressure tested the truck today. It held 15.5 psi for 30 minutes. I vacuumed the system with a coolant air bleeder thing right after. It seemed to fix the problem as I had working heat pretty quickly. But when the truck got to normal temp the heat was weak, nothing like it should have. Then I noticed the air bubbles coming into the reservoir again. They were coming in through the hose thats attached to the intake manifold... Thoughts?

Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Do yourself a favor and quit driving it before you toast you engine.
It is obvious, based on your statements, you don't have a clue what you are doing.
If you want some help, PM me your number and I'll try and walk you thru what to do/check.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Overlanding

whatever dude. I've been working on cars for 6 years and small engines for over 10. Plus I've got my dad whos been working on stuff for 20 plus as well as my friend that owns euro shop lending me tools and such, being the vacuum tester and coolant bleeder. He hasn't had the time to get over here and look at it.

Also its sitting in the driveway not being driven. I've got a few different vehicles to drive. A bobber that I built this summer, 76 bmw 2002, and an audi coupe quattro. So I know plenty thanks.

Last edited by gli_ryan; 09-26-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Mudding

relax, dude! You are just a little stressed-out with the truck! I don't think, admin has any intention of insulting your abilities! However, you stated that you have been driving it back and forth to school and running it for 20 mins which is enough to cause more damage with the truck while over-heating, right?
peace and good luck with your truck!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gli_ryan
whatever dude. I've been working on cars for 6 years and small engines for over 10. Plus I've got my dad whos been working on stuff for 20 plus as well as my friend that owns euro shop lending me tools and such, being the vacuum tester and coolant bleeder. He hasn't had the time to get over here and look at it.

Also its sitting in the driveway not being driven. I've got a few different vehicles to drive. A bobber that I built this summer, 76 bmw 2002, and an audi coupe quattro. So I know plenty thanks.
Wow. I don't know where to start, but Mike offered to call you (at his expense) and help you sort through your problems, and you come back with this?!!

I have been in the automotive business for 19 years, have an IQ of about 135, and know well enough when to ask for help. You might not have bled it properly the first time, and definitely didn't bleed it correctly after you sealed the bleeder with JB Weld. You noted the reservoir was bubbling, you had to add more coolant, drove it to school, got it hot... let's hope you didn't ruin the engine, assuming it was good to start with since "I checked for dropped sleeves and didn't see any."

BTW: I believe there are more differences in Briggs and Stratton engines and Land Rover engines than there are similarities.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Overlanding

thanks for all the help guys. Thats the most help to come from here yet, you two's comments. I fail to see where my comment was anymore snood than his. i already talked to him and I'm going to try a few different things... The truck has been on the road once. I don't know where you guys get off assuming this thing is going all over town. Its been in the driveway, NOT overheating.

BTW: I don't see where I said since I've been building race bikes and quads at a race shop I know every single piece of this land rover.

Last edited by gli_ryan; 09-27-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator

I would seriously suggest you grow up, listen to what others suggest and stop pretending you know it all. Last night conversation was such a huge waste of time for me, every time I would suggest something you would shine it off like it was all OK and yet don't don't have a clue on testing procedures for your truck.
If you want help, then there are people here that can help you but if not, don't waste our time.
I will be curious to see if you do the 3 simple things I told you to do before calling again, that is if you want to be helped.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Overlanding

I'm not entirely sure how I could have been more receptive to what you said. I'm sorry I'm not 45+ years old. But that does not mean I don't know anything, which you obviously think.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Administrator

You 3 most used comments to me were, ya sure, whatever and it's fine. Not once slowing down to listen or ask questions.
I realize you are not 45, I doubt you are even 25, but until you take the time to listen and ask question instead of bragging about your mechanical abilities, you won't get far with this truck.
Now if you want help to fix it, you write up a list, after doing the 3 things I suggested you do, and call me back. Then ask 1 question at a time and be quiet so I can get a word in edge wise and try and help you.

Quick Reply: Still overheating disco2