General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sumthin's Not Right

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumthin's Not Right

'00 D2, this morning started acting up...kinda sputtering a bit, lights flashing...CEL. Dead OBD port. Symptoms spuratic and decaying. So, I get a can of Seafoam, MAF cleaner and a FUEL FILTER...So, I go down under and can't find the FF. But while I'm looking around, I notice; A CUT/broken like 6mm +/-, hard plastic tube above the ft drive shaft, upon closer inspection, I fine another one separated at a rubber sleeve/splice. I put that one back 2gether, the cut one. I can't find it's home. They "look" like vacuum lines going 2 the tranny. Does that sound about right, 2 vac lines running 2 the tranny, in that size?

And next, is there really NO external, replacable fuel filter on the D2's? Autozone, showed one, located on the frame rail, ahead of the tank, beneath the seating area/pass side...I could only find a sealed box w/ some tubes comin' out of it...w/ no easy way in. Looks kinda like a breahter or a reservoir or sumsuch...

Any enlightened words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Fuel filter inside tank with the pump.

Hard plastic lines come from each axle and the transfer case and tranny, vent lines for build up of fumes from gear lube evaporating. When they clog up, pressure can make diff oil ooze out axle seals and mix with brake dust making a rubbery gunk.

What you saw was part of the evap system on the frame rail.

Check fuse 20 inside the truck, it runs the OBDII port.

Reading the RAVE provides enlightenment... along with a couple of chickens or other meat items burned on the fire for the Rover gods...

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-06-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

AutoZone will also show a power steering filter and a coolant filter for your truck, it has none of those.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the HELP! My OBD is powered, just not functioning. Savannah pointed me toward one of the headers under the glove box. There's a couple if I remember. I couldn't locate the #20 lead in the tangle of wires...Or the #16 for that matter...I haven't had time lately to deal with it, but, If I don't do it soon it might deal w/ me...
I replaced the plugs, they were alright, #4 & 6 were a bit fouled...too much fuel. I'm thimnkin the injectors are bad, I used some SEAFOAM, it's helped a bit...
I found injectors ranging from $700, 350 new down to 97 & 45 for "rebuilt"
In my world, you change them all...do the math...
Anybody have a good injector source...at an affordable price?
Thanks again

Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why do you think your injectors are bad?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Mudding

It was sputtering pretty badly. Seemed like if I was lucky, it would only be plugs. Ididn't remrmber if I replaced the plugs after the head job. I did they were nice new Bosch Platinums. They were all coming out perfect until I got to 4 & 6. They wre slightly fouled w/ carbon, ie lamp black. They're gettin 2 much fuel. I'm gettin HORRID gas milage. And now it's near catastrophic.

I cleaned the MAF, changed the plugs and ran a can of SEAFOAM through it. It slowly got a bit better. As the tank ran down. Now, it's kinda random from not so good to crappy, depending on throttle setting and load.

The symptoms seem to random for ignition, but it IS one of the two. Or so it would seem. That's why on the new version, "re: sumthin's not right" thread, 1st on my list is gettin the OBD up and running.

I'll run a press. test on the fuel system today. But, I don't much think that's the culprit.
Thanks for your help!