General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trouble starting disco sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 06:49 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting disco sometimes...

i ahve a 96 disco SD and sometimes when i tunr the key to start it nothing happens at all...not even anything electrical like the radio or the dash indicators.. i have a technique that sometiems works which is press down on the brake and the car starts up but sometimes the trick doesnt work.... im guessing its something electrical because sometimes if i just want to turn the key to jsut turn on the accesories they turn on but the radio and other electronics either flicker on and off or turn off completely unless i turned the key all the way to start it, im also guessing amybe theres a loose connection. yea ive been havign alot of electrical problems wiht my expierence owning a land rover but mechanically its awsome.. when i frist got it i had to fix the switches for the ower windows and i jsut recently replaced the turn signal and headlight switch.. so if anyone could cluse me in on wut maybe the problem id be very pleased. thx!

Old 09-21-2005, 10:41 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trouble starting disco sometimes...

It almost sounds like the battery terminal is not making good contact.
Even if it looks ok the inside ( terminal to battery post) could have a
glaze on it this would give you a intermittent problem.
Good Luck.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Trouble starting disco sometimes...

the 96 has 4 main body grounds. the location are on the british atlantic site in tech tips. If you have a loose or dirty connection it will do all kinds of strange things. The two that give my the most trouble are the ones behind the kick panels. the battery, connections, and last but not least. the ignition switch. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 AM
3rd Gear

Your alarm system is cutting your power. You need to reset the alarm and turn it off.