General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Usual key remote lock control damage,......contacts missing, anyone fixed this?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Usual key remote lock control damage,......contacts missing, anyone fixed this?

This is my Second Disco 2 with this problem. The usual plastic key head damage (buttons are blown out)

I ordered a couple new keys and the remote insert will not lock or unlock the doors when I insert it into the new key blank.

It WILL lock and unlock the doors if I bridge the tiny brass contact points in either the lock or unlock switch points with something like the tip of a small flat tip screwdriver................Look at my picture; the lock and unlock switch points are the small vertical black plastic rectangles with the round contact point near the top,....and a narrow horizontal contact point near the bottom.

I'm thinking that there must be a small spring-returned contact strip that the plastic buttons press on to bridge the two contact points.

I've attached a pic.

Any thoughts on how this can be fixed short of buying a new remote module?

Brian

Attached Thumbnails Usual key remote lock control damage,......contacts missing,   anyone fixed this?-2003-disco-2-key-remote.jpg  

Last edited by bcolins; 06-11-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you search thru ebay there is someone selling a new case w/ the new button you would have to soldier them in place

Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
if you search thru ebay there is someone selling a new case w/ the new button you would have to soldier them in place
I already have those,.....they don't work, as they don't include the metal contact to bridge the two copper contact points on the remote module. Identical issue on my last Disco.

Again, I can activate the remote module and lock/unlock the doors, if I bridge the copper contact points on the circuit board with a tiny screwdriver tip.

Anyone found a fix for this?

Old 06-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Winching

Surely someone else has had this problem, and fixed it.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
Drowssap: I eventually figured out that you were actually referring to what I bought,....replacement micro switches that need to be soldered on to the circuit board. Your "soldier" threw me for a loop. Didn't know what you meant,....doh!

Finally got around to ordering the replacement key with 4 replacement contact buttons. I didn't want to attempt soldering something this small on a circuit board. Stopped in to a local "Batteries +" last week to see if they wanted to attempt it since they solder batteries packs every day. They couldn't guarantee it would work,.....but I was confident. It took them about 15-20 minutes of fiddling with it,....one of the solder joints was not flowing properly. They finally got it to a point where it was functional, albeit,......a bit ugly. They didn't charge me anything to do it,.....said they didn't want me coming back being if it failed after a bit......lets hope it holds together. Now just gotta repair or replace my driver's door lock actuator.

Last edited by bcolins; 03-08-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Dealer can cut by vin I believe

Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Dealer can cut by vin I believe
I would expect Army Rover to be right on that. Most if not all European manufacturers do this,...some will require proof of ownership such as seeing the title.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by National1tyres
No key. LOST CAR OPEN
HELP WHAT'S THE BEST OPTION
SECOND HAND BARELL AND KEY HELP PLEASE
Probably should have started a new thread since this is an unrelated and old thread,...heck I sold that Disco a year ago I think.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

this was one of the newer threads he revived....