General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Very Strange Noise - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Strange Noise - PLEASE HELP

I have a Disco 2000 with 91K miles. I am the second owner, purchased in 2003 at 21K miles.

Recently I started to hear a strange noise more often than not when starting the engine. It almost sounds like a second engine that starts up, winds out, and then eventually winds down and then stops completely. This noise runs parallel to the normal engine noise. I opened the hood and the noise appears to be coming from the area around the alternator. I have not noticed any performance issues and the car seems to run normally while this sound is happeneing, but I usually wait for it to stop before putting the car into gear. The sound lasts anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute,but does not occur every time I start the car.

However, yesterday instead of happening when I started the engine, it happened about two minutes later when I was idling at a light. This time it only lasted about 5-10 seconds, but the "Service Engine Soon" light appeared.

It is winter here so I usually have the heat on, but I have started the car with the heat off and the sound has been present in those cases as well.

I am going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow, but am hoping to get some ideas before I go. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Very Strange Noise - PLEASE HELP

Go down to your local auto parts store and have them read the fault codes, write them down and get back to me with them.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear

The fault codes are:

1) P0327 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input Bank 1 or 1 Sensor
2) P1415 - Manufacturer controlled auxilliary emmision controls

My questions is whether the car is safe to drive until I can get it to my mechanic next week. He doesn't have an opening this week. For the second code, do I absolutely have to bring the car to a Land Rover dealer? Is there anything I can do on my own for fix?

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Why don't you call me, haqve some questions and ideas.
303-862-7680
Colorado between 7 am and 8 pm

Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear

Mike,

After we spoke, I did a little reseach on-line regarding the second code. From this website: http://www.scangauge.net/DTC/Powertrain.html

I found the following:

P14XX Auxiliary Emission Controls
P1415 Air Pump Circuit Malfunction/ (AIR) System Bank 1

This appears to be for the scan gauge device. Do all devices for reading fault codes use the same standards? If so, does the Air Pump information ring a bell?

Thanks,

Greg

Old 01-13-2008, 09:56 AM
8th Gear

I certainly don't have the experience that Mike does and maybe he already diagnosed this, but the fault codes and the timing of the sound make me think of the Secondary Air Intake. This is located in the very back of the engine compartment on the passenger side (LHD), so I wouldn't expect it to sound like the noise was coming from the alternator area. Have you tried standing in that back corner to see if you can detect the location of the sound?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

It is my understanding that there are 3 different standards of OBD2 codes which can make it interesing when trying to figure out what your vehicle is doing.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I'm having similar issues. I have an 03 Discovery with 131k miles. I'm getting error code:

P1415 "Air Pump Circuit Malfunction/ (AIR) System Bank 1"

From the research I've done this problem has to do with the SAI system. I've checked the connections and all seems fine there. Haven't disconnected yet to check for blockages because I don't have spare hose clamps to reattach everything right now. I hear what I think is the SAI pump running at startup as well, which I think is normal especially as outdoor temps get colder.

gnice, did you end up resolving this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

SAI is supposed to run at certain temps. It also is testeed by the ECU, and can make a code because it failed the test. SAI also has a foam filter that has to be changed from time to time. Here's some pages from the RAVE, the whole download is free below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sai tests.PDF (1.09 MB, 105 views)
File Type: pdf
SAI INFO.PDF (1.76 MB, 120 views)