General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

vibration at high speed after DS & Transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration at high speed after DS & Transmission replacement

On way to NW FL to pick up 99 Disco II following DS failure. Shop (i'm from NC) says there is "nvibration at high speed but runs well possibly attributing vibe to unbalanced DS or something in tran or diff" I am headed north through SE Alabama, GA, SC toward Charlotte...anyone have a good contact in any of those areas that might be. wiilling to check iit out. I will be picking it up around 5 and have 8 hr drive to CLT...don't want to do any more damage and need to get it back home to my guys but also don't want to take chance on iit. TY

Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Was the shaft that failed the front or the rear?

The front shafts have a well know habit of coming apart and spearing a hole in the tranny, which kills tranny. There is a write up in our tech section on rebuilding the prop shaft, adding greasable U joints.

The rear shaft terminates in a flex coupling at the rear which can tear and degrade. See Driveshaft Rubber Coupling (TVF100010 Same Fit As Genuine Part # TVF100010) - Land Rover driveshafts from Atlantic British.

IMHO you should get it fixed before the trip. Full shop manual also available for free download in link below. Having the RAVE on a USB drive while travelling gives the local shop the factory book. Rover shops are kinda sparse in south Georgia....

Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Overlanding

front, transmission was replaced and new Tom Woods driveshaft from Will Tillery..replaced diff & new tran filled. I am bringing back any parts they took off incl old trans and shaft....could not have happened in worse place but sent then manuals and mech at LR dealer walked him through everything as well...Chipley FL is between Pensacola annnd Tallahassee so not much choice for much of anything and got lucky as they were reasonable, let me order my own parts and really can't say enough about the shop beiing willing to giive it a shot and do their best (Panhandle Automotive in Chipley, FL) but it's a good haul to anywhere from there. Shop owner is going to pick me up with my truck where I turn in rental car at NW FL Beaches Airport so will get to see how it sounds/runs before heading N and my best bet may be to head back toward Tallahassee so I'm closer to more urban area where I might find someone rather than rural AL & GA where there may be nothing...thanks for the feedback and will give you guys an update

Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Overlanding

btw meant in tranfer case or tran...not diff..

Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Theres your problem, Tom Woods driveshaft.
It is to heavy for high speeds and it will vibrate, keep it under ~70mph and all should be good.
It is a HEAVY duty driveshaft made for trail rigs and not for daily drivers.
If you do not plan on offroading much buy a used OEM, have it rebuilt and then sell the Tom Woods driveshaft.
If you drive it all the time with the vibration it will ruin the t-case.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would remove the front shaft and lock the CDL in so you can get home without destroying anything else.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Overlanding
Smile

Thanks...made it to Savannah and w/ yesterday's weather stayed 55-65 and no vibration. Don't usually drive it everyday, but took it on this road trip for entire month w/ some off road and a lot of hwy...better known as the Dixie Dog tour...Charlotte to Nashville, Nashville to Memphis, down the old Hwy 61 Blues Tour, New Orleans, Pensacola where the shaft went...rented a car to head down the gulf coast (hard to go Huyndai when your camp is in your truck but survived) picked it up yesterday and got to Savannah around midnight...ran great in the torrential storms but, going to take it back home and fine tune or have some adjustments made...(have coffin ..jk...in back w/ old tranny, TC and old shaft) will see what comes of them, if anything...might should build a shrine!

Last edited by mbonthenet; 03-31-2012 at 01:07 AM.