General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected

Pix of oil supply passage from block to head. You would think some one could line up the hole with the oil port.....

I shopped for these, they are sold by lots of sites plus NAPA, bought from a good site, arrived well packed, sealed package, big note that not returnable once opened... I bought based on reputation of the big factory.

Had heads machined, opened package to give valve seals to machine shop. Now with heads back, ready to start assembly, and this. With just one oil port, you would like all it can send...

Gasket only fits one way because of oil dipstick and two alignment dowels that are not seen.

I post this so that others may decide on product when they shop.

Attached Thumbnails Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected-p1130106.jpg   Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected-p1130107.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

The head bolt holes seem to be on par. What's your concern? The smaller holes w/ the copper rings on the gasket not lining up to match the ports on the block? Are they the coolant ports?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

That would be the one and only oil port, with the copper ring.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The opening size probably isn't a big deal. My bigger concern would be the sealing ring not sealing since it looks to be over the hole rather than the block material.
If they don't accept the return at no expense to you because of defective/poor workmanship (since you can't see the problem without opening the package), I'd say just ring your credit card company when you get the bill and dispute it. Assuming you paid with a credit card.

If they give you grief, be sure to post who you bought it from.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

More pix and more questions. Perhaps the copper ring should be larger diameter to handle block vs head issues?

Attached Thumbnails Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected-p1130108.jpg   Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected-p1130109.jpg   Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected-p1130110.jpg   Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected-p1130111.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Does the copper land on any part of the block surrounding the hole? Will it seal or does the top cross completely ovr the opening?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I would say that over 90% of copper hits the block, but I'll put a pencil to it. Running out of my time slot today and rain is coming. The limits of a shade tree lifestyle.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
That would be the one and only oil port, with the copper ring.
Over analyzing? If you're anything like me, I'd say probably so. Anybody else in our situation would just slap it on and call it a day. I'm wondering if all their gaskets mate this way and you're the only one who actually took the time to perform an inspection. Who's reading this thread right now contemplating pulling Rover under the "tree" and getting surgical to see if their gaskets seat the same way...?!

Buzz, Call the manufactuer up with your findings, curious to know what they say. Better safe then sorry.

Last edited by coors; 06-20-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

The distributor has already contacted me and they are pulling a set of Reinz and a competing set and comparing side by side, will advise. You are certainly right that whatever tiny fraction is blocked off is small comapred to the forty pounds of sludge.

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it wth and axe, pound to fit. Wierd that it lines up fine with head and LR old gasket. As if block is different from head (yep I marked them before removal).

Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a bare block here and a set of head gaskets on the shelf I think. I'll try to remember to take a look tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Victor Reinz Gaskets Not Quite What Expected