General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what will hold up best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what will hold up best?

I haved owned Disco's in the past, no problems but not enough off road use. I now live 20 miles away from any pavement. The road to my house is all dirt, washboard, switchback, holes, bumps, dirt, mud and seasonal snow, lots-o-fun. There is also a 2000 ft. elevation change. I am looking at a 2000 or newer Disco or a 98 or older Rover. Any opinion if these will hold up without modification. I travel this road at least twice a week for a food run. My suburban and FJ40 hold their own but I've known Land rovers to rattle apart with heavy usage, any help?

Old 07-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you already have those trucks why do you need another?
The '95 Range Rovers and newer are basically a DII, they share the same driveline, different t-case, but otherwise about the same.
A RR would not be my first choice as there are so many electronics it is unreal.
I would go with a DII if those are your 2 choices making sure to stay away from one with the SLS (self leveling suspension) or the 18" rims.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Spike555. i have a problem that was a post 3 months ago but I am confused and being a new member I can not email you for 10 days. The problem is my headlights stopped working (high and low) but the high beam light on dashboard is on. The next day my lights worked but the drivers side was super dim and the passenger side was bright. Last night the lights went out and the high beam light was back on the dash. Today I checked the relay and fuses all seem to be good. i read where you said that the fuse box needs changed out. does that mean the entire fuse box under the steering wheel. if so how complex is it and should i find a professional or should I attempt it myself
thanks
danny

Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dannysofa
Hi Spike555. i have a problem that was a post 3 months ago but I am confused and being a new member I can not email you for 10 days. The problem is my headlights stopped working (high and low) but the high beam light on dashboard is on. The next day my lights worked but the drivers side was super dim and the passenger side was bright. Last night the lights went out and the high beam light was back on the dash. Today I checked the relay and fuses all seem to be good. i read where you said that the fuse box needs changed out. does that mean the entire fuse box under the steering wheel. if so how complex is it and should i find a professional or should I attempt it myself
thanks
danny

You need to go to the DII section and start a new thread, I am far from a electrical guy.
It could be a bad headlight switch, bad ground, bad fuse box, almost anything.
We have had this problem before but I do not remember the fix.
SO please start a new thread in the DII section.