General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter works, goes thu the gears;vehicle does not move..

I came home parked the vehicle. came out 20min later. started the vehicle step on brake, pulled the shifter back into drive. and it nothing! at that point i tried to put the shifter back into park, i could hear the parking sprage, make the same noise as if you put the shifter into park as you were moving. I turned the vehicle off...at that point i got out of vehicle and noticed the vehicle was still rolling. so me and a friend pulled the transfer case, and noticed that it was locked in the neutral postion. so we went about reading a little about the electricial,on the transfer case,and we found out we could energize the electric motor that controls the high low range. so we did that and it did go into high and low no problem... so we got back into the vehicle and took a chance and started it up while the transfer case was out and step on the brake and put it into drive and the transmission took right off with no problem....what could we do?????

Last edited by donaldaltom; 05-23-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 05-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

"put it in gear ; nothing, does not go into gear. just does nothing."

So you moved the shifter from park into drive, and you had no forward motion, or is the shifter not able to move from park?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Read my reply on your other post.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:28 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goes into gear does not move

I came home parked the vehicle. came out 20min later. started the vehicle step on brake, pulled the shifter back into drive. and it nothing! at that point i tried to put the shifter back into park, i could hear the parking sprage, make the same noise as if you put the shifter into park as you were moving. I turned the vehicle off...at that point i got out of vehicle and noticed the vehicle was still rolling. so me and a friend pulled the transfer case, and noticed that it was locked in the neutral postion. so we went about reading a little about the electricial,on the transfer case,and we found out we could energize the electric motor that controls the high low range. so we did that and it did go into high and low no problem... so we got back into the vehicle and took a chance and started it up while the transfer case was out and step on the brake and put it into drive and the transmission took right off with no problem....what could we do?????