LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 LR2 - Issues: Gas Smell, Rough Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 10:17 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LR2 - Issues: Gas Smell, Rough Shifting

Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice you can lend. I'm trying to help my son with his 2008 LR2. He's got a few issues. One, when driving, sometimes you can hear a gurgling sound coming from the right rear. I know he's always had an issue fueling, vapor must not be releasing properly as the gas pump always clicks off when fueling, over and over. Plus, when you exit the car you come sometimes smell gas near this same area, back of the car.

Another issue he has is rough shifting, sometimes a pretty good jolt from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd.

One more, if he sits idle the car runs hot, heads towards over heatng, but no issue when moving.

With all that said, still one of the best looking SUV's on the road, and does not leak a drop of oil. Just quirky issues incessantly.

Thanks again guys for any help!

Old 07-18-2023, 01:29 PM
Winching
Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Inkstaind
Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice you can lend. I'm trying to help my son with his 2008 LR2. He's got a few issues. One, when driving, sometimes you can hear a gurgling sound coming from the right rear. I know he's always had an issue fueling, vapor must not be releasing properly as the gas pump always clicks off when fueling, over and over. Plus, when you exit the car you come sometimes smell gas near this same area, back of the car.
That will be the evap system. In addition to failing smog (if you have that) it could create starting problems.

A shop with the JLR SDD or other pro software can scan for codes and see what comes up. Might be a bad purge valve or a leak. Might need a smoke test to find the leak. Shouldn't be too pricey or difficult to DIY if desired.

If you have a generic scantool, I'd try that it might give you enough info. Or the Autel AP200 scanner is decent affordable compromise between generic and the JLR software. In addition to reading a lot of data, it can change some vehicle computer settings, and program new key fobs.

Another issue he has is rough shifting, sometimes a pretty good jolt from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd.
Very good chance it's either motor mounts, old dirty fluid or more likely both.

Inspect the upper torque mount near the coolant res. (pic below). If it's bad (torn rubber) then you almost certainly need new motor mounts, including lowers. The torque mount is easy DIY, the lowers would be a little more work but I don't think it would be too hard. Not too expensive at a shop either.

https://www.roverparts.com/engine/mo...unts/LR000597/

Replace the fluid with the OEM Aisin ATF-0T4, unless you know that was done within 40k miles, with that specific fluid. You can easily DIY but will need to read up on it, there are threads on that on this and the UK forum. You'll also need a a vehicle specific scanner (such as AP200) to read the tranny fluid temp, or a thermal heat sensor.

Tranny is bulletproof, and will likely work great with new fluid.

One more, if he sits idle the car runs hot, heads towards over heatng, but no issue when moving.
DANGER! Thats not a temp gauge, it's an Idiot Gauge... if the needle moves above the normal position it's already overheated.

The problem is most likely either the fan or fan control module. They both tend to fail eventually, I'd probably replace both for piece of mind. Also you must replace the thermostat unless you have proof that's it's been replace with 100K miles. Failure mode on that can circulate broken pieces through the cooling system which will be very expensive.

With all that said, still one of the best looking SUV's on the road, and does not leak a drop of oil. Just quirky issues incessantly.
Yes. It's a great car once you learn the issues and get on top of preventative mx. The JLR mx schedule is NOT adequate, they expect you to buy a new car after five years. Volvo schedule is more realistic, there are threads here on that...

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32504.html

Last edited by merlinj79; 07-18-2023 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
flybd5 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 01:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, this definitely gives us a place to start and confirms some suspicions.