LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

To extend or not to extend? (warranty)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default To extend or not to extend? (warranty)

I have a newly acquired 2009 Land Rover LR2. It is in great condition, and I have had my mechanic give it a once over, and everything looks great.

It is still under factory Warranty for another 5000 miles, but I was curious if I should really throw down $3000 or more for the extended warranty? Are the LR2's as prone to problems as the LR3's? And does anyone have an extended warranty and needed to use it on an Lr2?

things to consider:

1) I live in Montana where there is no Land Rover dealer. Closest one is 200 miles away.

2) I have a friend that is an ASE certified mechanic and has two Land Rover Discoveries himself.

Any input, insight, or advice on this topic would be helpful.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lazerbrains
I have a newly acquired 2009 Land Rover LR2. It is in great condition, and I have had my mechanic give it a once over, and everything looks great.

It is still under factory Warranty for another 5000 miles, but I was curious if I should really throw down $3000 or more for the extended warranty? Are the LR2's as prone to problems as the LR3's? And does anyone have an extended warranty and needed to use it on an Lr2?

things to consider:

1) I live in Montana where there is no Land Rover dealer. Closest one is 200 miles away.

2) I have a friend that is an ASE certified mechanic and has two Land Rover Discoveries himself.

Any input, insight, or advice on this topic would be helpful.
Well it depends really on the 200 miles away issue. Would the warranty insure free towing to the dealer and back if the truck wouldn't start/ non drivable for 200 miles??
How long does the $3k get you? What does it cover and not cover? Have you had any issues with the differentials? Or front bushings people always talk about going out every 30-40k? From what I have read it costs around $700 to do all this at the dealer. Good luck

Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Mudding

You pose some great questions, and that will definitely help me in my search. I have not gotten as far as to get specifics on warranty details. But my research has led me to believe that it will be between $3000 and $5400 for a warranty that will last an extra two years and/or 30,000 miles. The towing is a very good question.

As far as the differentials, no I haven't had any problems. BUt what are the signs of trouble. I did just notice my back wheels tend to tilt out a little. (leaning inwards on the top) Only barely noticeable, but you can tell on the tire wear.

ANy idea what causes that?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Winching

You pose some great questions, and that will definitely help me in my search. I have not gotten as far as to get specifics on warranty details. But my research has led me to believe that it will be between $3000 and $5400 for a warranty that will last an extra two years and/or 30,000 miles. The towing is a very good question.

As far as the differentials, no I haven't had any problems. BUt what are the signs of trouble. I did just notice my back wheels tend to tilt out a little. (leaning inwards on the top) Only barely noticeable, but you can tell on the tire wear.

ANy idea what causes that?
Here is more information about the differentials:
A sign of trouble is a grinding/gritty sound in the back.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...rential-45736/
Definitely want to find out all the small details first. Especially the towing one. What is the difference between the $3000 warranty and the $5400 warranty besides the price? Were the tires balanced when they were put on? Do you have any issues driving, vibrations, driving sidewaysish? How much of a difference in tire wear? I'm not sure if you can adjust anything on the rear.. It sounds like they are "toed in"?
Perhaps if the warranty covers stuff like this it might not be a bad idea, really comes down to little things. Are you going through a dealer to get the warranty or third party?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the info. There are no driving issues in this vehicle at all. It drives really smooth. There is a slight whirring sound on acceleration in first gear. I have heard this before in Volvos, and since this has a Volvo engine I assumed it was just the way it sounds. (It is very subtle, and doesn't sound like something is wrong)

As far as the rear wheels. The tread is just slightly more worn on the inside of the tire than the outside. I was reading online that this is the "camber" of the wheels on the axel. BMW intentionally does this slightly to help in cornering. It sounds like it can be adjusted at a tire shop. And that it will be adjusted if I get new tires. (which i am planning on) Not sure of LR does this kind of thing on the LR2.

As far as warranty, I am going to the dealership to have some lamp guards installed so I will find out more details about the extended warranty.

However do you know if the standard LR warranty covers any kind of inspection or service. I am at 45,000 miles, and warranty will run out at 50,000 and I would like to have it checked out. Do they do that? Or is that something I will have to pay for? And if I do have it checked out, should it be at a dealership, or private mechanic?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Drifting

I decided against the extended warranty. The price was simply outrageous. For what it's worth, I got an extended warranty on my Cadillac XLR (a vehicle much rarer and much more prone to "curious" issues than an LR2) for less than $2K.

As much as I absolutely love the vehicle, JLRUSA is a ripoff outfit if there ever was one, from corporate down to the dealers. I'm on a British LR forum and extended warranty prices from JLR there cost far less – about average for a factory extension (and yes, I converted currencies).

Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TurboDan
I decided against the extended warranty. The price was simply outrageous. For what it's worth, I got an extended warranty on my Cadillac XLR (a vehicle much rarer and much more prone to "curious" issues than an LR2) for less than $2K.

As much as I absolutely love the vehicle, JLRUSA is a ripoff outfit if there ever was one, from corporate down to the dealers. I'm on a British LR forum and extended warranty prices from JLR there cost far less – about average for a factory extension (and yes, I converted currencies).
Thanks for that insight. I haven't been a LR owner for long, but I have begun to notice that. I had a Jaguar before, but took it to my personal mechanic, and never to a dealer. I might do the same with the LR2 after the warranty is over.

Do you know if the warranty covers any check ups or maintenance? I am a new owner of the car and just want to have it checked out before the warranty expires.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Drifting

Thanks for that insight. I haven't been a LR owner for long, but I have begun to notice that. I had a Jaguar before, but took it to my personal mechanic, and never to a dealer. I might do the same with the LR2 after the warranty is over.

Do you know if the warranty covers any check ups or maintenance? I am a new owner of the car and just want to have it checked out before the warranty expires.
I'd trust the Landie with the same mechanic you take your Jag to. Here in Brick Township, NJ (Ocean County), we have Guenther at Specialty Auto who is an extremely trustworthy European vehicle mechanic. My family has taken every vehicle we've owned (from my dad's '80s Audi GT in which I was brought home from the hospital as an infant... to the 17-year-old I was in my '99 Saab 9-3... lol) to the present.

An indie mechanic who I recently got to know is Chris at 5 Corners Auto in Long Branch. Really cool, young guy who loves LRs who is an LR master tech. Highly recommended. He knew the ins and outs of my late-model LR2 like nobody else. As a guy in my 20s, I also felt it was good to support a knowledgeable mechanic my age as well and give him some business. He really knew some of the ins and outs of the vehicle, and I expect to head back there in the future.

At the end of the day, it pays to know a great trustworthy indie mechanic!

Last edited by TurboDan; 08-04-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:37 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just buy a warrantee from another company. Trust me before I got into Dodge, I asked the warrantee inspector from all the inspection companies what company is the easiest for the customer and worth its weight. He said Chrysler warrantee is the easiest and the best. Honestly I wouldn't of believed him till I saw the proof. CHrysler is easier and more honest. They repair with bulletins, they repair water leaks and damage from water leaks. LR doesn't at all.

We saw more people screwed by LR certified and Apco then some of the more shadier ones.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
just buy a warrantee from another company. Trust me before I got into Dodge, I asked the warrantee inspector from all the inspection companies what company is the easiest for the customer and worth its weight. He said Chrysler warrantee is the easiest and the best. Honestly I wouldn't of believed him till I saw the proof. CHrysler is easier and more honest. They repair with bulletins, they repair water leaks and damage from water leaks. LR doesn't at all.

We saw more people screwed by LR certified and Apco then some of the more shadier ones.
I can get a Chrysler extended warranty for a Land Rover? If I were to go with one of these third party warranties, can I take the LR2 to the mechanic of my choice? Or does it have to be a dealership?

Quick Reply: To extend or not to extend? (warranty)