LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Factory fitted webasto or other heater

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory fitted webasto or other heater

I'm wondring if it possible to fit aftermarket remotecontrol for the webasto in my freelander 2 year 2008? In my car the webasto only turns on when I start the engine if it's cold enough. Would be nice if there were some way to fit timer or remote instead, then the car would be preheated already when it's time to drive. Any ideas? Suggestions? Anyone done the same thing? Not even sure that it's a webasto or some other heater that is fitted. Only know there is a fuelburning heater fitted, and it works. Owned the car only few weeks.
happy for answers to cold Finland.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:18 AM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Hi Fredrik,
Most (if not all) 2008 North American LR2s use the si6 3.2 liter engines and, I could absolutely be wrong about this, are not Webasto equipped. I would check out freel2.com, a UK site, and do a search there on Webasto. I was introduced to this UK site by another, very helpful, member from this forum and it's Freelander 2 specific.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:51 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ThorInc
Hi Fredrik,
Most (if not all) 2008 North American LR2s use the si6 3.2 liter engines and, I could absolutely be wrong about this, are not Webasto equipped. I would check out freel2.com, a UK site, and do a search there on Webasto. I was introduced to this UK site by another, very helpful, member from this forum and it's Freelander 2 specific.
Mine is a 2.2 td4 manufactured for Finland conditions, block heater, coupe heater and so on.
I'm sure there is also a webasto fitted and working, seen the exhaust from the pipe under the car, and heard it starting. It's a pitty it only starts when i start the car, it really heats up the engine and coupe pretty fast when i've started. Would just be nice if it were possible to fit a remote to it, no more icy windows and cold car in the early mornings.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 522 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredrik1990
I'm wondring if it possible to fit aftermarket remotecontrol for the webasto in my freelander 2 year 2008? In my car the webasto only turns on when I start the engine if it's cold enough. Would be nice if there were some way to fit timer or remote instead, then the car would be preheated already when it's time to drive. Any ideas? Suggestions? Anyone done the same thing? Not even sure that it's a webasto or some other heater that is fitted. Only know there is a fuelburning heater fitted, and it works. Owned the car only few weeks.
happy for answers to cold Finland.
I've worked in Finland during winter (Espoo) and even though I was only there for a week, I very much get where you are coming from. I looked it up, and I believe this is your solution for a remote control.

Remote Control - Webasto Repairs

I also believe you can buy a timer unit that will turn it on and off at a selected time of day.

Keep in mind, however, that the Webasto unit in your car is not for heating up the cabin, it's only for heating up the engine block and oil. It normally turns on when you start the car just to get your engine and oil warm faster than with just the heat generated by the engine.

Last edited by flybd5; 02-29-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:23 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by flybd5
I've worked in Finland during winter (Espoo) and even though I was only there for a week, I very much get where you are coming from. I looked it up, and I believe this is your solution for a remote control.

Remote Control - Webasto Repairs

I also believe you can buy a timer unit that will turn it on and off at a selected time of day.

Keep in mind, however, that the Webasto unit in your car is not for heating up the cabin, it's only for heating up the engine block and oil. It normally turns on when you start the car just to get your engine and oil warm faster than with just the heat generated by the engine.
Thank you very much for your advice