LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

HELP. 2008 LR2 won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. 2008 LR2 won’t start

I thought the issue was my alternator being that my starter went approximately 6 months ago, but I have had 2 tow truck drivers tell me differently. There is clearly power to the car as the tailgate keeps unlatching on its own (even if the key fob is inside my house), the doors will unlock using the fob, and the fob engages into the ignition but NOTHING is happening on the dash. One tow driver told me he believes its a miscommunication on the fob so the computer won’t read the fob. I can’t even put my foot on the break when the fob is in the ignition. The car won’t turn over as I tried to jump it already. Any thoughts, And broke is an understatement in money so cheapest option? LAST RESORT sell the vehicle.
thank you!!

Old 08-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Winching
Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Some things to try:

- Check the starter motor fuse in the fusebox in the engine compartment. Your owners manual will show you the location of the fuse, or there might be a diagram on the inside of the fuse box cover.

- If the fuse is good, then check if you're getting power at the starter when pressing the Start button. This may be difficult without a lift since I think that access to the starter is from the underside and requires that you remove the panel cover (not sure about this).

- If you're getting power at the starter, then your starter is probably bad.

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Land Rover LR2 Starting Issues

Originally Posted by DeeRiggs
I thought the issue was my alternator being that my starter went approximately 6 months ago, but I have had 2 tow truck drivers tell me differently. There is clearly power to the car as the tailgate keeps unlatching on its own (even if the key fob is inside my house), the doors will unlock using the fob, and the fob engages into the ignition but NOTHING is happening on the dash. One tow driver told me he believes its a miscommunication on the fob so the computer won’t read the fob. I can’t even put my foot on the break when the fob is in the ignition. The car won’t turn over as I tried to jump it already. Any thoughts, And broke is an understatement in money so cheapest option? LAST RESORT sell the vehicle.
thank you!!
I have a 2008 LR2 that I have starting issues with. I changed the Starter and still having issues.

My solution that works 100% is to simple pop the hood and use a 10mm wrench and disconnect the Negative Battery cable for a couple of seconds and put it back on again and tighten it.

The Car should start now. What that does is reset the ECU and all bad electrical hiccups, including cluster not reading and stuck key fob as well.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Robert

Old 08-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Winching
Received 287 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by LR2driver
Some things to try:

- Check the starter motor fuse in the fusebox in the engine compartment. Your owners manual will show you the location of the fuse, or there might be a diagram on the inside of the fuse box cover.

- If the fuse is good, then check if you're getting power at the starter when pressing the Start button. This may be difficult without a lift since I think that access to the starter is from the underside and requires that you remove the panel cover (not sure about this).

- If you're getting power at the starter, then your starter is probably bad.
The splash guard is part of the suspension frame, so it has a switch which disables the vehicle when the plate is removed (switch arm hangs down, it's obvious). I suspect you'd need to use something to hold the switch arm up in order to get any power to the starter.