LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

I need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021 | 02:04 PM
|
6th Gear
Default I need advice!

I have a 2008 LR2 SE. A few months back I had the steering column lock problem that seems to be an issue with these. The diagnosis is Body Control Module and a module in the steering column that isn't getting power. Not much detail because the info was relayed to me. Anyway, the cost is $1300. I love my Rover! I really do! But I'm thinking about selling it, or fixing it and then selling it. Before this it was running like a Swiss Watch. I don't know what to do! Any thoughts? Any advice?

Old 11-19-2021 | 07:43 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LRFAN
I have a 2008 LR2 SE. A few months back I had the steering column lock problem that seems to be an issue with these. The diagnosis is Body Control Module and a module in the steering column that isn't getting power. Not much detail because the info was relayed to me. Anyway, the cost is $1300. I love my Rover! I really do! But I'm thinking about selling it, or fixing it and then selling it. Before this it was running like a Swiss Watch. I don't know what to do! Any thoughts? Any advice?
Who made the diagnosis and did they provide you with the error codes?

Old 11-19-2021 | 07:52 PM
|
6th Gear

No, they didn't. He's a mechanic but he's a friend of my boss. His English is very limited. There's a more mainstream shop that works on Rovers, but their pricey. I was trying to save money. Bad idea with a Rover?

Old 11-19-2021 | 08:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LRFAN
No, they didn't. He's a mechanic but he's a friend of my boss. His English is very limited. There's a more mainstream shop that works on Rovers, but their pricey. I was trying to save money. Bad idea with a Rover?
So you got the El-Cheapo no-spikking-inglish quick and dirty diagnosis....

There are several fault codes associated with this symptom. You need to take it somewhere where they will read the error codes from the computer. This is done with something like the JLR SDD system on a laptop and a special cable. Ideally they should clear all the codes first (because any historical codes may still be there), then try to insert the key fob and see what code registers in the computer. Have them print them out and then transcribe ALL codes shown here (or scan the printout and post it). With that I can look in the service manual and tell you what it says about that and maybe give you some ideas on how to fix it.

In the meanwhile... this doesn't always work, but try resetting everything by disconnecting the negative battery cable first, then the positive cable and touching them together for 10-20 seconds. Wait a few minutes again, then connect the positive first and then the negative (a little spark is OK) and try to start the car. If you are VERY lucky, the module might reset, shake off the gremlin and work.

Last edited by flybd5; 11-19-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2021 | 08:19 PM
Pro Wrench

And if you don't know where to take it, post your state and city and I can try and find you a place. Maybe that mainstream shop you mentioned has the diagnostic system. You might have to pay for getting the codes but you have to pay for it anyway...

Old 11-19-2021 | 10:29 PM
Winching

You can also, at some point in the future, edit the CCF with JLR SDD and disable the steering column lock for a permanent solution to a common problem.

Old 11-19-2021 | 10:32 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ThorInc
You can also, at some point in the future, edit the CCF with JLR SDD and disable the steering column lock for a permanent solution to a common problem.
You should first ask her if she understands Geeksperanto.