LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR 2: Motor, Gear, Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry LR 2: Motor, Gear, Transmission Oil

Hi everyone. I bough a 2013 LR2 in November last year it is in good condition and only had 48,000km on the clock. The warranty was valid until 2018. I took it for its service in March as it had reached its mileage required for that service. All was well. Discussed buying new warranty before current one expired. Last week I call to book the appointment for next service as it's due - It was supposed to be 68,800km or 25th September - Due to financial reasons I couldn't take it, but I read the warranty and it gives 1,000km grace - so I just had to wait till pay day (within the 1,000km limit) I call to make the appointment and am told that the previous owner brought the car in for its service a month later than scheduled in 2014 and the warranty is actually expired (didn't say a word about this in March) So, with the prices we get charged here in the ME for services by the company that has the brand, I figure what is the point, may as well take it somewhere else because they want to charge me a stupid amount which I know will be cheaper elsewhere. ANYWAY roll forward to today and my mechanic friend went to buy authentic LR parts for the service - only needed a oil filter & oil for the motor, gear and transmission - the quote QR3000 - that is around $800 for oil... I live in the Middle East, surrounded by oil - you can see where I am going with this - So, I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place - The oil from the dealer is bog-off expensive & I am not able to import it, due to import regulations... after reading my little retoric, can anyone tell me which oil I can use, that would be similar in quality, that I may actually be able to get here - I need Motor, Transmission and Gear oil (or are they the same thing?) Thanks so much in advance.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XenaLRWarriar
Hi everyone. I bough a 2013 LR2 in November last year it is in good condition and only had 48,000km on the clock. The warranty was valid until 2018. I took it for its service in March as it had reached its mileage required for that service. All was well. Discussed buying new warranty before current one expired. Last week I call to book the appointment for next service as it's due - It was supposed to be 68,800km or 25th September - Due to financial reasons I couldn't take it, but I read the warranty and it gives 1,000km grace - so I just had to wait till pay day (within the 1,000km limit) I call to make the appointment and am told that the previous owner brought the car in for its service a month later than scheduled in 2014 and the warranty is actually expired (didn't say a word about this in March) So, with the prices we get charged here in the ME for services by the company that has the brand, I figure what is the point, may as well take it somewhere else because they want to charge me a stupid amount which I know will be cheaper elsewhere. ANYWAY roll forward to today and my mechanic friend went to buy authentic LR parts for the service - only needed a oil filter & oil for the motor, gear and transmission - the quote QR3000 - that is around $800 for oil... I live in the Middle East, surrounded by oil - you can see where I am going with this - So, I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place - The oil from the dealer is bog-off expensive & I am not able to import it, due to import regulations... after reading my little retoric, can anyone tell me which oil I can use, that would be similar in quality, that I may actually be able to get here - I need Motor, Transmission and Gear oil (or are they the same thing?) Thanks so much in advance.
Your car is still very young for 48,000 kms what you need to do is do engine oil + engine oil filter change

You can do it in any petrol station that offering the oil change

Buy oil 5W-30 spec for 10Kms

I do that usually until now 202,000 kms still running fine

Transmission oil is not needed to be replaced, you will need it until 10 years or 250,000 kms whichever comes first, except you always use it for offroad make it before that period

Good luck