LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 battery died, now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 320 Likes on 250 Posts

I think that Furnace Creek in Death Valley has the highest recorded surface temperature according to WIKIPEDIA.

And that is in Cali.

Sometimes LAND ROVER doesn't make logical decisions.

Its a little warm

I've replaced my AC Compressor and I've upgraded my radiator fan to the dual fan setup so it is nice and cool inside my LR2.

STAY FROSTY

Paul

The following users liked this post:
guy (09-12-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 11:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p_gill
The Alternator Pulley Tool is only needed if you are replacing the pulley. If you are getting a rebuilt Alternator it will come with the pulley installed and you won't need to remove and replace it.

However the roll pins should be transferred from the old Alternator then pushed flush into the rebuilt Alternator and then when everything is aligned pushed into the engine block. If you don't do it this way then is is extremely hard to et the Alternator to line up (ask me how I know?)

Go to 8:50 in the Video to see what needs to be done.

You will need something to push the dowel pins into the block.

https://youtu.be/rXgKvT3PoNc?si=BI0NZDBgvBuf5Id-

Good luck

Paul
Thank you once again. I did watch video about the roll pins, made a tool out 9f a bolt just guy did in one of the videos I watched.
Reading further into one of the forum subjects I ran across where the discussion was about the little blue wire on the alternator. I disconnected it and the battery warning indicator still came on and stayed on. I haven't had time to track it through the wire loom yet but I'm on that asap. Haven't ordered an alternator yet. Is it possible that little wire is stopping the alternator from putting out anything because it's not receiving proper or no input from the ECU?

Old 09-07-2023, 12:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 320 Likes on 250 Posts

Correct

The ECU controls the Alternator and it uses the BLUE wire to do this

This chart shows that the Voltage output from the Alternator for a Wet Cell Battery will be be between 12.5 Volts and 14.3 Volts depending on the outside temperature

In fact at 120 F or higher temperatures the Alternator is not charging the Battery

Good Luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (09-08-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 01:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Litt

Originally Posted by p_gill
Correct

The ECU controls the Alternator and it uses the BLUE wire to do this

This chart shows that the Voltage output from the Alternator for a Wet Cell Battery will be be between 12.5 Volts and 14.3 Volts depending on the outside temperature

In fact at 120 F or higher temperatures the Alternator is not charging the Battery

Good Luck

Paul
This is the exact reason why I don't like all that electronic crap in these vehicles and the new vehicles being put out. I miss my '77 GMC Sierra Grande 15!!!. Only so many components and when something went wrong you knew exactly what it was and it was usually pretty easy to fix.
Just with the alternator alone on this Rover there are so many variables that I'm second guessing myself on all the data I'm collecting because these other variables that I didn't account for. May be a good thing we haven't purchased an alternator yet as some of the data I collected was on days when the temperature was at record highs and and some after the vehicle had been driven adding to the overall temp. And just to think after all I've been doing it might boil down to this one little wire loosing connection