LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Electrical Meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR2 Electrical Meltdown

Bought a new LR2 HSE in October. Less than 1500 miles on it at present. Last night I put the key fob in the slot, foot on the brake, and pushed the engine start button. Rather than starting, The instrument panel had a fit! All the lights came on, and the LCD screen between the tach and the spedo gave a series of error messages - HDC Fault, System Resetting, etc. Then the LCD started acting really weird - it went blank, and then a single horizontal line appeared at the bottom and began to flash. The small LCD where the gear info is located had a big E where the gear numbers would normally be. Then the hazzard lights came on, but not as flashers, just solid on the dash. Outside the car, the wipers started making a slow, jerky motion as they gradually traveled up the windshield - funny, since they were not turned on. The outside turn signals weakly flashed in random patterns. Tried to get the key out, and it wouldn't come out. Then eveything went dead. Not even the overhead light would turn on! Grabbed my other key fob and used the emergency manual key to lock everything up, and I called roadside assistance this morning to have them come get the car. Looks like for all the supposed improvements in Land Rover quality with this new model, they are still using the same idiots to design and install the electrics as they always have.

Anyone have similar issues?

Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: LR2 Electrical Meltdown

Just had similiar situation!!! My LR2 has 16,000 miles and this past weekend, I went out to start it and NOTHING HAPPENED. The HDC SYSTEM TRANSMISSION DEFAULT message came up on the dash....engine would not turn over or start. Interior lights and horn worked, but that was it. Had to have it towed to dealership....and they still can't figure out how to start the car.The vehicle has never been in an accident and the service advisorsays the 'accident light' is now on in the engine and he can't turn it off.

Back in September it went to the dealership for a recall on the navigation and somehow it messed up the electrical...it stayed at the shop for 3 1/2 weeks...until they finally fixed it. yeah right. Still waiting to hear from the dealership today on the status of the vehicle that I had towed in on Saturday!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very common issue, sorry to say. The supposed fix is to reconfigure the body control module, instrument cluster control module, and solar sensor. We had one that was leased by an employee at our store and the downloads did not resolve the issue. The lights and strange behavior are due to low battery voltage. One or multiple modules stay "awake" and drain the battery down. I am not terribly impressed by these vehicles, either. Needless to say, the employee was able to get out of her lease and into an Acura.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 AM
2nd Gear

Land Rover service confirmed that the dashboard freak-out and loss of power was indeed the battery. I had it in at the dealer yesterday. Battery was checked and charged, and I'm back up and running. I wish I'd seen the post about the control modules, though, before I went in. I get the feeling that all they did was charge the battery, and now it's only a matter of time until it drains again. When that happens, though, I'll know what to tell them. Question is, can these modules actually be reconfigured? Or is this a problem I'm stuck with, and I should go out and buy a trickle charger? Other than this one issue, I have to say I really like the car, so I'm hoping it can be resolved.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can indeed be reconfigured. The latest patches for IDS that we have out should take care of this issue.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

Well, I'm back in the same boat I was 2 weeks ago after the dealer supposedly fixed the trip switch in the engine, that caused the battery to drain....went out to start the car this morning and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing wouldn't start again, w/the same HDC System Default Message. So here we are on Xmas Eve and no car to speak of, because it's currently being towed to the dealer. UGH.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Add me to the list...

15k miles on a LR2 SE. Had my 15k service done about a month ago, and then went out to start my car 2 mornings ago. Nothing. No crank, "E" in the gear indicator display, and couldn't even open the rear gate.

I manually locked the car, got it towed, and the dealer replaced the battery.

Car seems ok now, but (strangely) my windows don't do "auto up" anymore (i.e. - you can't get any of the windows to go all the way up by briefly holding the window button...) [EDIT - turns out I just needed to do a "Window Reset" - described in the NA owners manual, somewhere around pp77-79. Windows fixed.]

Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
1st Gear
Default LR2 battery drain

Just bought a preowned 2009 LR2 HSE 4 months a go and Land Rover has already installed a second battery. After sitting for a few days the batteries are completely dead, complete to the point of not accepting the key. My car has currently been sitting at Land Rover for 8 days and they can not get the battery to drain. I have heard stories of RR & RR Sport with the same problem usually caused from interference from radio programmed systems i.e. Home Alarm Systems, neighbor ham radio etc. Anyone have any ideas where I should start looking? Any help appreciated!!

Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

One owner posted about a newer Rover with the electronic smart key. He had the key on a hook by the garage door. The car kept sensing it, and doing what ever the computer does when it thinks the owner is approaching. And killing the battery.

The average metro area is a hive of RF interference, so if it was RF you would think there would be a lot more of it happening.

Attached Thumbnails  LR2 Electrical Meltdown-a001_5741-l.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-06-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

LR2 had issues with IP software, and Bluetooth causing battery drain. Do you use the Bluetooth? With them not able to replicate it, may very well be looking at that if you do.

Quick Reply: LR2 Electrical Meltdown