LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Electrical Meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Dave, is there a standard software revision that fixes that?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes on both. The IP software was part of a service action that should have been taken care of, but was sometimes overlooked. The Bluetooth is a somewhat perticular set of variables (car turned off with a bluetooth call in progress, and nav screen displayed) But software is the fix for both.

Can't find SSM for IP but Bluetooth bulletin attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LTB00391 - Flat Battery .pdf (58.8 KB, 2560 views)
Old 09-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Usually taking a copy of the TSB with a box of chocolate donuts is a good start, the service writer and techs can't talk with their mouths full...

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (07-06-2019)
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah rover guy is pretty good with these. I just completed a down load today for that set the meter up completed a Bluetooth pair and taked on the phone ended the call by shutting off the key with out hanging up and there was a 1.5 AMP Draw. Completed a down load to the Infotainment module (face plate of the radio) and retested all worked out pretty well

Old 09-22-2013, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear

roverguy7 - maybe you can give me some advice. i am having some of the same issues with a 2008 LR2 that I purchased about 2 weeks ago. after 7 days got some errors and had to jump to get it to start. thought it was just a dead battery. then i needed another jump after a few hours. then we couldn't get it to start even with a jump. had the battery replaced and everything was fine for about a week.

now the battery is dead and it only starts with a jump (haven't tried to jump it again). brand new battery. HDC fault and transmission errors.

I've only had this vehicle 2 weeks and I'm in the predicament of having to decide if we want the dealer to fix it and keep it or if we want to get another vehicle. I like this car, but I don't want to sign up for long-term or costly problems.

btdubs, i'm also in MD.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

LR2s had a few electrical 'glitches' that caused a lot of issues, but generally aren't hateful to repair. For the most part, they are very trouble free vehicles, occasional issues with the differentials, but nothing else major.

A proper draw test will need to be preformed to figure out the cause of the battery drain, and considering the time line, I would recommend contacting your salesperson, used vehicles generally do not have any sort of warranty(that would cover something electrical), or lemon law in the strictest of terms, but a good sales department should take care of you. What dealership did you buy it from?

One thing, and this doesn't help you much now, but may help with your decision if the dealership is willing to 'take it back', but I very strongly recommend pre-purchase inspections before buying any vehicle.

I am not on here to solicit work for my shop, but feel free to contact us if you would like us to figure out what is going on, and let you know what condition the vehicle is in overall to help with your decision of how to move forward.

Also, these vehicles do not deal well with low voltage, and can sometimes lock into 'crash' mode, that will prevent the engine from starting even with a jump on there.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 AM
3rd Gear

It was purchased from a Koons dealership. A pretty big chain in these parts.

After some "are you f-ing kidding me" emails to the general manager, the sales manager finally decided to let us have a Land Rover dealer repair it or trade for another vehicle on the lot. (Let me just say to anyone in the area, the trouble with the car was a PIA, but the dealer response was worse. I doubt I would go back to Koons. Certainly not the Tyson location.)

I've been reading and trying to see what this error could mean. Obviously something is draining the battery. I just don't want to keep it and regret it. I only had it 2 weeks and I really like it. But not enough to spends thousands on repairs.

It's def doing this crash mode thing. I only see some of the errors for a moment, but I seem to recall something like "shutting down..." Like it is turning off the fancy sensors or traction control to compensate for loss of power. It then starts once or twice with a jump, but then nothing.

Last edited by nicole-lr2; 09-23-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM
3rd Gear

Well, it looks like I won't be keeping this vehicle. Even the LR dealership is saying there is nothing wrong with it but a bad battery. The battery is brand new. Installed by the dealer a week ago. And it took them 3 days to tell me that.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As per a previous posting, LR2 new battery died. Dealer thought the problem was a short in the starter and replaced it. After sitting for two days car died again. I was able to jump it and drive it to the dealer. It will be there for 10 days while we are away. Any bets on whether they'll get it right this time???

Old 11-13-2014, 03:57 PM
5th Gear
Default starting issue

Originally Posted by NENYMA
As per a previous posting, LR2 new battery died. Dealer thought the problem was a short in the starter and replaced it. After sitting for two days car died again. I was able to jump it and drive it to the dealer. It will be there for 10 days while we are away. Any bets on whether they'll get it right this time???
Any update on this? Was the dealer able to resolve the issue? If so can you let me know what the problem was? I am having a similar issue.

Quick Reply: LR2 Electrical Meltdown