LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LR2 issues?

Hey everyone,

I'm up here in Canada... and have been through 1.5 cold winters now. I love my LR2, and have had a few recalls over the past year. From the software update (as many of you were commenting on the starting issues); a sunroof recall and an emissions update. I've had one real issue with the rover so far, and it was a bad leak coming from the hatch. Apparently, the high-mount brake light was not sealed at the factory, and water would gush into the cargo area when it was in a car wash.

Lately, though, I've been hearing squeaking noises in the engine when the heat is turned off. It seems to be sounding in-line with the belts turning... but not sure. I thought that it would go away when it was warmed up, but it is still sounding well after 3 hours of driving. I have 12,000km on it now after a year... not much really.

I do find too that the factory tires that come with it (Continentals) aren't really the best at all. I drive conservatively up here in Canada, and the traction and control of the truck is less than our all-wheel-drive Ford Fusion. But the DSC works wonders. Then again, I guess that's why they have the snow-mode!

Bottom line though, it is a great vehicle. In an area with only RR's and LR3's, this LR2 actually stands out.... might be the orange colour though!

Cheers all.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
7th Gear
Unhappy 3 problems with mine!

I have a 2008 LR2 and I've had 3 problems:

1. The sunroof has problems sometimes closing; I think it’s the wind deflector. When I close the sunroof it always gets to the closing point then opens back up like something is in the way. When I hold down the wind deflector with my hand and move it fast just as the sunroof is closing it will close for me.

2. I have an issue with the gas gauge, sometimes when I start the car the gauge is on E with the light on to tell me the tank is empty. Once I restarted the car and it fixed itself but sometimes it don't. Or I can be driving and the gas gauge would go to E and the light come on, once I hit a bump in the road and it fixed itself and showed the correct amount of gas I had.

3. This issue just happened last night, I was driving and the engine light came on, it is still on today. I thought maybe when I wake up in the morning it would be off but no luck. I don't know if this is because yesterday I was driving using six-speed STEPTRONIC automatic shift for the first time.

Has anyone had these issues or have answers?
P.S. I live in the Caribbean so I don’t have a Land Rover dealer up the street!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
4wd Low

mrgeemoney, you better find dealer - there was recall regarding sun-roof. Especially with engine light "on" - you wouldn't find a cause without scanner.
I have seen the empty "fuel" issue once also when I parked on the really rough hill but since haven't seen it.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy LR2 Issues?

I need to say that my experience has not being that good. I loved my LR2 since the first time I saw it and bought it in 2007 as soon as they were available; it will be two years now in April. These are the different things that occurred to the LR2:

1. Issues with the key requiring reprograming and software upgrade for issues with the ignition.

2. Transmission Fault Traction Reduced message displayed in the control panel in five different times; all of them took more that 3 days to the dealer to fix them and I had to pay for a car rental.

3. The unit overheated two different times and the motor fan module was replaced. Another towing experience and car rental.

4. Sunroof issues two times; unable to open the sunroof.

5. Low coolant messages and low tires pressure messages in the display in different ocassions were they had to reprogram the Powertrain module and replaced the antenna that communicates the TPM with the key FOB.

6. The links were replaced due to engine noises.

I really like the Land Rovers but this has been hard;

Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 AM
7th Gear

I live in St. Maarten, they have a dealer that sells Land Rovers (Caribbean Auto Sales) but I did not buy my LR2 from them, I got it in Miami. Would they still honor my warranty?

Also do you know if it is a recall on my fuel tank sender unit?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 PM
4wd Low

To me, it seems that a lot of the troubled cars were some of the "original" releases of the LR2. I was a late adopter to the LR2 and I bought an '08 HSE in October of '08. At the time when I bought it the dealer said that they stopped making and distributing the SE model. They didn't have any SEs on the lot. It think they realized it was troubled and went ahead and stopped making it???

Granted I only have 5000 miles, but I haven't had any problems with my car yet. I haven't heard of too many people complaining of troubles with late 2008 models either. Just my observation.