LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Key Fobs not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR2 Key Fobs not working

I need some help. I have two key fobs and both are not working. The first fob, the one I usually leave at the house, stopped working about a month ago. There is no response from the car when I try to open the door locks, but it will start the car. I understand that one probably just lost its charge since I never used it (in nearly 4 years).

The second fob, I use all the time. It started acting up about 2 weeks ago. At first, I had to get really close to the car to open the door, then it just wouldn't open the doors at all. It still starts the car, though. The strange thing is-- it will open the door locks if I press and hold the open button and then press the lock button three times in a row. It will not lock, however.

I took both fobs to the dealership and paid $129 for them to reprogram them. They had checked the SSID (?) and said they weren't programmed. They then told me to drive around for 4 hours straight to charge one fob. I don't have anywhere that I need to go that takes 4 hours, so I'm basically left with non-functioning key fobs. I'm considering just leaving my car running in the driveway for 4 hours (8 hours to charge both fobs). $80 in gas is a lot cheaper than replacing both fobs. Even after reprogramming, the second fob still opens the doors if I hold the open button and press the close button three times so it seems the battery is not a problem with that fob.

What should I do? Try to charge them myself? I'm kind of amused that Land Rover doesn't have a way to charge these things at the dealership; that the only way to charge them is to have them in a running car for 4 hours. I mean, really? My dealership told me my only other option, if I can't get them to charge on my own, is to replace them at $300 a piece.