LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 OEM Navigation Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR2 OEM Navigation Install

I am in the process of purchasing a 2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE. However, it does not have the technology package. I was looking into installing the OEM Navigation System into the vehicle to fill the black hole on the middle of the dash. I am looking for some guidance as to if installing the whole OEM system is possible and all the components that I would need to buy in order to install the system.

If not possible, I am willing to consider an aftermarket head unit. I would need to run wiring to the new unit because there was not a unit there before, correct? Or is there a wiring harness or something?

Old 04-04-2017, 09:30 PM
8th Gear

I am also looking to buy a used LR2 2008-2009 and have been researching about the NAV system. I think you would be better installing an aftermarket unit. I don't know the price of the OEM unit but I know that it will be outdated. The latest DVD update on the official Land Rover site is from 2013-2014 and cost 200$! If you decide to go that route you can try contacting dijkvr on this forum, he may be able to help you getting a more recent and cheap DVD.

I think your money would be better spent on an aftermarket unit that can do so much more. Personally if the truck I buy don't have the NAV unit I will probably buy the Android unit sold by CarNaviPlayer. Seems legit and they have the full step by step explanation on how to install it. I contacted them and they answered a few questions.

If my future truck has a NAV system I may try the DVD update from drjkvr

Keep us posted!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 AM
8th Gear

I wrote a long message yesterday but it did not get through, don't know why.

I'll try again...

I am also looking for a used LR2 from 2008-2009 and was also wondering about the NAV system. I don't know the cost of an OEM unit but I know that it will be outdated. The latest map updates (from official source) are from 2013-2014.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM
8th Gear

Also these DVD updates are 200$! Expensive!

You could try to contact dijkvr on this forum, he may be able to sell you a much cheaper and recent DVD update. If I buy a LR2 with a stock NAV I will definitely contact him.

If I buy a LR2 witouth NAV unit I will install an aftermarket unit that I can update from USB or something. Have you though about that option? It may be cheaper and offer you more options and flexibility. Personally I think I would buy the Android unit from CarNaviPlayer (i don't have any relation with them). Seems legit and they answered a couple of my questions. There are a lot of afmertaker units on AliExpress but very few with reviews from actual users.

Please let me know what you end up doing.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM
8th Gear

You could try to contact dijkvr on this forum, he may be able to sell you a much cheaper and recent DVD update. If I buy a LR2 with a stock NAV I will definitely contact him.

If I buy a LR2 witouth NAV unit I will install an aftermarket unit that I can update from USB or something. Have you though about that option? It may be cheaper and offer you more options and flexibility. Personally I think I would buy the Android unit from ??????? (I think I cannot reference specific company, please contact me if needed). Seems legit and they answered a couple of my questions. There are a lot of afmertaker units on AliExpress but very few with reviews from actual users.

Please let me know what you end up doing.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM
8th Gear

Old 04-05-2017, 10:09 AM
8th Gear

Also these DVD cost 200$!

It seems that I cannot post the information I wanted regarding of whom you may contact to buy cheaper and more recent updates and aftermarket units you could buy. My posts have all been moderated.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say that it is not worth it to do this. i dont believe these units are a plug and play system.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a 2009 LR2 HSE without the Nav. I will be attempting to install a Nav kit that I found on ebay: LAND ROVER FREELANDER 2/LR2 NAVIGATION GPS DVD | eBay. I also found a back up solution if that doesn't work: 2008 LR2 After Market In-Dash Navigation - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum