LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Need new tires for LR2

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DOUGLASSON, Where did you get the roof rack? Nice...

Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NENYMA,

Those are the OEM raised roof rails I installed myself (instructions call for a specific sized hole-saw, but something close will do just fine, as the holes are not exposed and for access only!). NOT a complicated install at all.

That is a set of Yakima LowRider locking towers and I THINK 48'' Yakima crossbars.
Yakima doesn't sell the LowRider's anymore, but you can always find something used -- ebay has some. Yakima is selling the RailGrabber towers now which may have less road noise, but I don't know much about them. My LowRider towers make a little noise, especially if you have them positioned over your head! They don't interfere with sunroof operation either, other than noise if they're pushed forward.

Yea, those Yakima bars have a load weight of over 200 lbs, while the factory crossbars only hold about 70 lbs. I have a Rola roof basket that I've had over 300 lbs of wood and dirt on and it did just fine (watch sharp turns!). They move from the far front to back, wherever you want them, and hold my canoe just fine. I throw everything up there!

I have a post somewhere describing installing the OEM tow hitch and electrics myself if you wanna dig that up and read. That is handy and performs well. Let me know if you have questions or comments! Cheers!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much! You did a great job!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Douglasson, I am interested in putting OEM raised roof rails on mine as well. I have found a couple of new sets on eBay, but none of them seem to come with instructions. Do you have a digital version of the installation instructions for the roof rails? Or do you know where I can find instructions?

Last edited by lazerbrains; 07-18-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Land Rover website has all that! I got here from going to LandRover.com, choosing my country, and went under the 'owners' tab. I think this is the link to the roof rails fitting instructions:
TOPIx - TOPIx

I look at the instructions first before I decide if I want to tackle an install-it-yourself project. send a public or private message if you have any individual questions.
Cheers!

OH!! IF YOU GET THESE FROM EBAY, MAKE DAMNED SURE ALL THESE PIECES ARE INCLUDED. I GOT MINE FROM THE DEALERSHIP, SO WHEN A PART WAS MISSING, THEY GOT A REPLACEMENT FOR ME, BUT YOU CAN'T BE GUARANTEED THAT ON EBAY. GOOD LUCK!!! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING HOW THAT TURNS OUT. WE MAY WANT TO MOVE THE ROOF-RAIL POST TO A DIFFERENT THREAD THOUGH.

Last edited by douglasson; 07-19-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Mudding

Awesome! That is great! Thanks for the link. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my OEM 19" Conti's last week. I got 40k off them and could not wait to replace them. They were awful in snow and dreaded the new England winters of slush. I have had Pirelli Scorpions on my Volvo xc70 and liked them so much that I decided to put them on my LR2 as well. They just feel more responsive and have much better grip on oversand travel at the beach. I also believe they look much better too.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by tyler durden
I just replaced my OEM 19" Conti's last week. I got 40k off them and could not wait to replace them. They were awful in snow and dreaded the new England winters of slush. I have had Pirelli Scorpions on my Volvo xc70 and liked them so much that I decided to put them on my LR2 as well. They just feel more responsive and have much better grip on oversand travel at the beach. I also believe they look much better too.
Really!?! Awesome, I was looking into those tires as a possibility but wasn't sure they would fit. What size did you get on your LR2? And do you have any pics??

Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tires.jpg?t=1345043167
Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S 235 55 19-
I had them installed at Town Fair Tire $1230 with alignment, balance, TPMS and disposal.

Last edited by tyler durden; 08-15-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: more information
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Mudding

Very nice!! Thanks for the pic!

Quick Reply: Need new tires for LR2