LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Opening the rear hatch without removing the key from the ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:31 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opening the rear hatch without removing the key from the ignition?

So I purchased my 2012 LR2, and I can't figure out how to pop the rear door open without shutting the car off, and them removing the key from the ignition to use the button on the fob.

I feel pretty stupid, and I don't see anything in the manual about it...... how the heck do I do this?

Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

on my 2008, if you close all the doors and then hold down both the lock/unlock buttons simultaneously for a few seconds (until the lights flash) this sets up your fob to unlock all doors with one push. This should also apply to the unlock button on the dash as well. Pushing it once should unlock everything, allowing you to access doors with the vehicle on.

let me know

Old 06-06-2019, 04:35 AM
6th Gear

Im looking for a way to actually open it, not unlock it. like how if you pop the hood it opens a little, is there a way to do that without using the fob?

Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Darla123
Im looking for a way to actually open it, not unlock it. like how if you pop the hood it opens a little, is there a way to do that without using the fob?
I am not familiar with the 2012 LR2 but I can't see it being significantly different from my 2008. Have you looked under the rear hatch handle, just above the licence plate holder in the middle of that latch/handle? Should be a rubber covered latch. If you have one but it does not open the rear hatch when unlocked, then the handle may need to be replaced. I replaced mine on the 2008 because the toggle was corroded, it was an easy job and the OEM switch/latch was very reasonable to buy.

The following users liked this post:
Monmon (11-05-2020)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:49 PM
6th Gear

Hi, thx for the reply. It works fine opening it from the outside, I'm wondering how I open it from the inside with the key in the ignition.
I was pulled up outside a business the other day, and needed to open the hatch for someone who had their hands full, but I needed to remain in the driver's seat with the engine running.
Originally Posted by ThorInc
I am not familiar with the 2012 LR2 but I can't see it being significantly different from my 2008. Have you looked under the rear hatch handle, just above the licence plate holder in the middle of that latch/handle? Should be a rubber covered latch. If you have one but it does not open the rear hatch when unlocked, then the handle may need to be replaced. I replaced mine on the 2008 because the toggle was corroded, it was an easy job and the OEM switch/latch was very reasonable to buy.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi, thx for the reply. It works fine opening it from the outside, I'm wondering how I open it from the inside with the key in the ignition.
I was pulled up outside a business the other day, and needed to open the hatch for someone who had their hands full, but I needed to remain in the driver's seat with the engine running.
Ahhh, you are looking for a cabin switch to release the tailgate latch sans key fob. Do you have access to the owner's manual or maybe give Land Rover a call? Try the unlock switch on the console twice/trice as a guess!!??

Old 12-24-2021, 11:09 AM
6th Gear

So I purchased my 2012 LR2, and I can't figure out how to pop the rear door open without shutting the car off, and them removing the key from the ignition to use the button on the fob.

I feel pretty stupid, and I don't see anything in the manual about it...... how the heck do I do this?
If you hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the centre consul simultaneously, the tail gate will open.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:12 AM
guy
Winching
Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

I didn’t know that! Running out to the garage to confirm….

Old 12-26-2021, 09:44 AM
Winching
Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Yes, it should work. I use that feature all the time when dropping off and picking up kids.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
I didn’t know that! Running out to the garage to confirm….
RTFM!

Quick Reply: Opening the rear hatch without removing the key from the ignition?