LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

solenoid or trans replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 01:50 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question solenoid or trans replace?

I'm a loyal owner of a 2011 LR2. I love this vehicle as it has come through in the clutch time and time again. It has the straight six and this motor is one of the reasons I am not wanting to replace this vehicle, it performs like some of the best V8's in my past. However, the current issue doesn't seem solvable. Something is either not lined up right or.... Originally the issue was an odd noise- almost like a fan blade hitting something or a gear not aligned properly- that negatively impacted performance w/o 'check engine light'. It seemed to mimic a motormount issue in that at times, the issue instantaneously would disappear; cruising over speed bumps would momentarily cause problem to go away. No noise or vibration, engine performance unhampered. I will not take it to a dealer, and the two advertised "Land Rover" mechanics both told me the noise or issue was emanating from the tranny and it was game over. But they went no further in diagnosing only saying that they 'don't do transmission's or 'don't bother'...The error codes I've been able to coax out had one prime candidate: 'transmission solenoid' fail or 'stuck on ' or 'open'- does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about? Or better yet, what issue I'm dealing with? Is the solenoid a component that could be replaced w/out incurring big time cost?