LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Windshield wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023 | 10:01 PM
|
1st Gear
Default Windshield wipers not working

Hello all! I've been throwing parts at this thing left and right and cant get the wipers to work properly. Ive replaced the motor, relays, and wiper switch on the steering column.

The issue:

On a cold start the wipers may work fine for a few minutes and stop. To get them to move again, i have to turn the car off and back on again. I bump the switch and they will move one cycle and stop.

Ive pulled the connector off the motor and tested each pin. I noticed that on a cold start, my yellow black ground wire will have a great 0-1ohm ground between the connector and negative on the battery. After the motor runs for a few minutes, it goes haywire between 0 to 57 ohms constantly fluxuating. Ive located the ground connection under the fuse box for that circuit and removed all 4 connections, cleaned, and reattached them. Still same issue. Between the connector and the ground wire itself disconnected from the chasis, i have a 0 ohm reading so continuity which is perfect on the wire. On the red/blue wire i have a constant 13 volts feeding power to the motor so thats good. When the wiper works, i can test the other pin and see 13 volts when i toggle the switch on, but when the wipers stop working, the voltage disappears on that pin. I turn the car off, back on, toggle the switch, see the 13 volts for 2 seconds and never again.

It looks like i may have some sort of electrical issue, but hoping someone has something else to suggest that i am missing. Hopefully its not that central module going bad, i heard those are a pain.

hopefully im describing my issue and troubleshooting steps good enough. I'm just a diy guy trying to make things work lol.

Not sure if this is related or not but my bluetooth/phone is not displaying anymore. Ive done research on that and i may have a bad module in the trunk, but just a fyi.

Old 06-22-2023 | 07:54 PM
Pro Wrench

You are assuming the windshield wipers on the LR2 are like a 60's car. They are not, they are controlled by the central junction box and by the rain sensor, if installed, among other things. There are other components as well. You need to connect to the car with a diagonostic code reader that understands the LR2 modules, like the Autel AP200 with the Land Rover diagnostics installed. That will tell you what the DTC code is and what is wrong with the system. There are more than a dozen possible error codes, once you find out what the diagnostic is saying, then we can give you suggestions.

The Bluetooth system not displaying anymore as well suggests that you may have loose connectors to the CJB. Those are behind the glove compartment. Has anyone been there lately? Make sure all the connectors with the wire bundles are secure and firmly connected, and make sure there's no moisture damage or corrosion in that area.

Old 11-10-2023 | 10:13 AM
3rd Gear

Hi Steelwind!
I was wondering if you have solved your windshield wiper problem? I have a similar problem with my LR2. They work for a certain time and then they stop working. Changed the relays, but that didn't help

Old 11-10-2023 | 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by o_sweden
Hi Steelwind!
I was wondering if you have solved your windshield wiper problem? I have a similar problem with my LR2. They work for a certain time and then they stop working. Changed the relays, but that didn't help
Could be the rain sensor is malfunctioning.

The following users liked this post:
o_sweden (11-10-2023)