LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**PLZ HELP - NEED ADVISE**

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **PLZ HELP - NEED ADVISE**

I am very serious about buying an LR3. I want an 06. I have read everywhere in consumer reports that they are HIGHLY un-reliable. Lots of problems, fixing, services, etc...

Can someone please advise me weather this is correct? I want one badly, but I'm really in need of a highly reliable vehicle.

Anything helps!!!

Thanks!!

Mike

Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: **PLZ HELP - NEED ADVISE**

i have an 05 45k miles no problems love it and would buy another as with any vehicle carfax
carfax carfax. I have been reading CR for as long as I can remember my dad has been getting it since i was a kid and still dose I flip thru it regularly when i see him so at least 2xs a month
I have had luck with a few vehicle they hate. I have lost trust in CR on their opinions on vehicles. dont let CR tell lyou what vehicle to drive unless kyou want a white or silver honda. Then you can be like evey other mindless fool out their. Just get the Lr3 you will not regret it.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Mudding

The LR3 is an incredible vehicle. That being said, due to the technologies that are used, humans who assemble it (who love their pints at lunch) there are some vehicles that have issues. And, to excerbate the problem, it is expensive to repair technological things and there are not that many experienced service mechanics who can really figure things out. My LR3, with 75k miles, is 10 times better than my Disco II, which I thought was a marvelous offroad vehicle. Unfortunately, most people who use 4x4 offroad know that it takes its toll on vehicles, so offroad users are more forgiving of breakdowns, despite the inconvenience. But people who are used to minivans are another issue.

If you buy an LR3, know that you are buying the finest 4x4 off the showroom floor that was ever made. But it is not an inexpensive vehicle to buy or service. Most of them are very reliable. On occasion, there are vehicle with more problems than one should have. If you buy one, spend the extra money on an extended warranty, as I can guarantee you, it will pay for itself if you keep your vehicle past the 50k factory warranty.

I love mine, and have a lot of very hard, challenging offroad miles on it and I am very glad I own the vehicle. As I said a long time ago to another post....your are either a Land Rover Owner or not. Those who become infected with the fever and pride of ownership, history, and marvel at the technology become very forgiving of those times when the truck breaks down occasionally from hard use.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To be quite honest in answering your question and try as I may to not be biased, I would first have to ask you WHY you want an LR3 so bad. If you fall in the 66 percentile of Land Rover owners who would never dream of taking their "shiny new truck" off road and just want a Rover for the Status Quo the brand carries, and can't wait to put 22" wheels with low profile tires on it, then you could not possibly appreciate the awesome vehicle the LR3 really is. An Escalade with 22's will look nice too and probably be more "RELIABLE".

People who's onlyexpectation from their vehicles is that it starts when they turn the key and it moves forward when they select the "D" on the tranny could NEVER, EVER in a million years appreciate the awesome qualities that separate the LR3 from the "average" SUV out there.It used to be that if you wanted an awesome off road vehicle, you accepted the fact that the same qualities that made it awesome off road would mean it would SUCK on the highway. Rough riding from tougher "off road" springs, unstable around corners and at high speed fromaddedclearance from lifts, etc, etc.

The introduction of the LR3 and the late generation Range Rovers andRover Sportschanges all that. Now you have a line of vehicles that behave as plush, quiet, comfortable and sporty as anything out there in the SUV category if not better in many cases; yet, could and does keep up with anything but the most modified off road rigs off road STOCK, AS IS, you get my meaning. Not just "getting by" or "good enough" but THRIVING in both arenas; highway drive and off road.

People who don't understand the vehicle have way too much time in their hands to complain about the little things that do go wrong once in a while. My LR3 is 2 years old with 35K miles. It HAS been in the shop for some minor repairs. I can't lie and say it has had Zero problems but then againI have not owned ANY vehicle in my 42 years that has has ZERO problems. Never has it left me stranded on the side of the road. Only once have I actually had an issue that turned into a little bit of a headache but it turned out to be something small that appeared big only because the dealer just could not figure out the first 2 visits.

It's been a joy to own. Knowing what I know about my LR3 two years into ownership, I'd buy 2 or 3 more if I could afford it!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 PM
2nd Gear

I second Jantiz' post. I have '05 LR-3 and love it to death. Yes, it's had some issues, mainly with the electronic stuff. But I'm an off-roader too and the darn thing just keeps going. If you never take it off road you'll be missing out on seeing just what this amazing rig can do. If you don't you'll still appreciate the vehicle just as a nice, safe suv. I recommend buying the x warranty when you buy your rover.