LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 LR3 HSE 4.4L HDC Fault, Hazards flashing, Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:57 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 LR3 HSE 4.4L HDC Fault, Hazards flashing, Won't Start

Yesterday I bought an 05 LR3 HSE 4.4L
First 200 miles of my return trip home from purchase, everything went great and you couldn't wipe the grin off my face.
Then, all of a sudden: hazard/flasher lights came on, radio displayed "System Fault - Shutting Down" and then turned off, a/c turned off, nav screen turned off. Oh crap, I'm on the highway doing 65 mph, I need to pull over and see what is going on.
Motor is still running fine, I stay calm and start to plan where I can turn off of the busy highway. Then, all of a sudden everything comes back on and starts working again. Weird.
I keep driving a few more miles and then pull over at a gas station to get some much needed caffeine. After going into the store, I come back out to start my new rig, and it won't start. When I turn the key, I hear door locks engage, hazard lights come on, info screen says "HDC Fault System Unavailable", radio tries to turn on, then turns off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then try to crank it again and voila, it starts just fine. Drive the remaining 20 miles home with no issue.
This morning it started fine, I get about 5 miles down the road, and then the same thing happened again. Hazards come on, radio/ac/nav off, motor still running. However this time, the electronics didn't come back to life after a few seconds. Pulled over at a gas station, turned it off, waited a good 10 minutes, won't start.

Today I've read a ton of threads on issues similar to this so I'll try to give as much detail as possible:

- The ONLY fault that displays on the info screen is HDC Fault
- The rover has an Atlantic British coil spring conversion installed
- The flash module for the coil spring conversion is plugged in and there are no obvious signs that the suspension is the issue (lights for the air suspension switch are off, as they should be according to AB website)
- New Interstate battery, new brake light switch (according to the guy I bought it from)
- Don't have a gap tool, but plugged in an OBD tool and the only code it shows is: U0167
- When I turn the key to the on position, I hear the fuel pump kick in
- Don't hear any clicking like other folks with a similar problem that had a bad starter

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I really want to get this thing working like it should, as it is a comfortable ride and looks great for a 12 year old vehicle.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:58 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Without codes it's a guess. Assuming battery is good I would suspect alternator. Get both checked.

The following users liked this post:
gofish (07-08-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

This isn't unique to LR3's, or even Land Rover. You didn't mention the miles on it or if you had a knowledgeable mechanic look over it. A 12 year old vehicle can be a perfect buy if it was maintained, or a complete nightmare if not, regardless of manufacturer. I cannot imagine these items never happened to the seller, and depending on your state laws I would review what your options are and go from there. If you know you are buying something with a unknown history and happy with the price?

I knowingly purchased a Jaguar with a seized engine 15 years ago, which at first glance seemed like everything else was fine. I paid 1K for it thinking I could replace the engine and all would be good. What I didn't realize is all of the other things that had been neglected and I was looking at close to 15K to bring it back to life. Lesson learned on my part, and not related to Jaguar as I've owned a few since then.

So your issue could be something simple, or something more complicated. I purchased my 2006 LR3 new and frankly don't want to know what I've spent to maintain it. If I had to guess, I'm in the 20-25K range in maintenance over the last 10.5 years. I don't mind the dollar amount as I know I'm not buying a Subaru or Toyota, but something to be aware of.

gofish (07-08-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Thank you for the replies abran and cospilot. It has 138K miles, and other than this issue runs like a champ.
It finally cranked last night after trying on and off for a few hours. Once cranked, I drove around for about 30 minutes, no issues.
This morning, wouldn't crank again. Same thing, hazard lights, HDC Fault, won't turn over.
Like abran suggested, I'm leaning towards alternator since the battery is new. The guy I bought it from said he had this issue, hence the new battery and brake light switch. According to him, he drove it for a solid week once the new battery and switch were installed and the issue never happened again.
I think my next move is to remove battery and alternator and have them tested. Unfortunately I don't have a GAP tool, and the closest dealer is a 2 hour drive away.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gofish
Thank you for the replies abran and cospilot. It has 138K miles, and other than this issue runs like a champ.
It finally cranked last night after trying on and off for a few hours. Once cranked, I drove around for about 30 minutes, no issues.
This morning, wouldn't crank again. Same thing, hazard lights, HDC Fault, won't turn over.
Like abran suggested, I'm leaning towards alternator since the battery is new. The guy I bought it from said he had this issue, hence the new battery and brake light switch. According to him, he drove it for a solid week once the new battery and switch were installed and the issue never happened again.
I think my next move is to remove battery and alternator and have them tested. Unfortunately I don't have a GAP tool, and the closest dealer is a 2 hour drive away.
You might try putting it on a charger overnight and see what happens the next day.

Also, since you don't have a GAP tool, you could try the RSW Solutions software. Think its around $179 including the wireless device to hook up to the LR3.

Last edited by COSPILOT; 06-30-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

While you have the battery out, do a hard reset... can't hurt.

gofish (07-08-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Drifting

I'll try that too EastCoast. Thanks for the reply

Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having the same issues. It seems like mine might be the med speed canbus system and the instrument cluster is most likely the culprit. I posted about this issue a few posts down from yours. I have several screen shots of faults I pulled with my IIDTool. I'll try and post them.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Drifting

UPDATE:
I read through a few older threads and found one that sounded like the exact same problem I'm having: https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ghtmare-59449/
So, I pulled the instrument cluster out and unplugged the wire harness. Inspected the circuit board and didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. Plugged the harness back in and it cranked right up. However, I know by now it can't be that easy...
So long story short I let the LR run for a while, turn it off, crank it back up, etc. Sometimes it would crank up, other times I'd get the "flashers of death" (as I've coined them). Moving the free-floating instrument cluster around will bring it back to life, but if you bump it the wrong way it fails.
I'm up for any suggestions. I'm going to leave the instrument cluster "floating" for a few days so I can tinker with it.
I guess if all else fails, I have to buy a new instrument cluster.

WYRover, sorry to hear that man. I'd try pulling the instrument cluster out and tinkering with it like I did. Maybe between the two of us we can figure out a good permanent (and cheap) solution.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried pulling mine out, unplugging it and plugging it back in without any luck. It would start fine and drive fine and then all of the sudden the doors would start unlocking and would get the system fault error and everything would shut down. The car still runs but all the interior electronics shut down. After a few minutes the system resets and all is fine until the next time it happens. I replaced the battery with a new Interstate battery and replaced the brake light switch. Still researching if a used 07' instrument cluster can be reflashed to work. I wonder if one from a 05'-06' will work?

Quick Reply: 05 LR3 HSE 4.4L HDC Fault, Hazards flashing, Won't Start