LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 front wheel hummin

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:36 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 front wheel hummin

My 06 lr3 v6 has a vibrating, weak grinding, humming sound in the left front wheel. I replaced the hub assy but the sound is still there. It does it when I let off the gas, stays there even with brake depressed, and doesn't change when coasting in neutral.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Randy

Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rancam
My 06 lr3 v6 has a vibrating, weak grinding, humming sound in the left front wheel. I replaced the hub assy but the sound is still there. It does it when I let off the gas, stays there even with brake depressed, and doesn't change when coasting in neutral.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Randy
CV joint, half shaft or front differential. Don't know too much but this is where to look. Maybe someone else can help with diagnosing.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

rancam,

I have a similar noise that seems to be two parts and may help you. One is a kind of growling noise I get shortly after I let of the gas (drive or neutral is the same) and the drive line starts to take the load of the vehicle slowing down, which therefore eliminates the tranny. The second is a humming type noise that is similar to a typical bearing starting to fail.

I just changed my front diff oil and found the mag plug to be real gummed up with fine particles, but no significant swarf indicating a major gear or component failure in the diff. I suggest you check the plug in yours, which will also mean you have to replace the oil - not to much of a job and a good idea. The front diff on mine was a little more quiet after too. I will replace the oil again after a few 1000 km and treat the first change as a flush plus I get to see if there is any more build up of partilces on the mag plug. I will also do the same for the rear diff. Other than that the gowling noise on the drive line loading up as the truck slows down needs more investigation.

I now suspect the humming noise to be a wheel bearing as it is also starting to have a whump whump whump sound or it could still be a shaft, but I will check the bearings first. I have found in the past a failing CV joint becomes worse if you corner and I don't get that. If a wheel bearing is going you can sometimes feel if if you jack the wheel and try to rotate is - it feels rough if the bearing is bad enough as you would expect and you may also get a little play in the wheel too. The surprising thing to most folks is just how small the level of deterioration on the bearings fescalised surfaces needs to be to start to cause a lot of noise. That said if you think of the load they carry is not then such a shock.

Anyway, hope that helps if you still have the problem. If not and its now sorted please post so others may learn a little more about their own truck.

Cheers

sm

Old 12-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Pinpointing the noise is the key here. Wheel bearings typically make a little more noise when loading them up while cornering left or right. If you have someone that can run the vehicle on a lift you can listen for noise at each wheel bearing, front diff, rear diff, and tbox. if you can't find the noise you hear, check your tires, I've seen lots of tire issues that have been mis diagnosed as bad diffs, and wheel bearings.
Swap wheels/tires out with known good ones if you can.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 AM
3rd Gear

Hey thanks!! I took it in to the dealer after i changed the other front hub bearing. then they told me it was the front and rear diffs making the noise and it was not impending but if I wanted it fixed it would cost $5000!! I'll be changing the oil as u suggested to see if it improves. If not imma gonna drive it till it drops

Happy Holidays
Randy

Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So you took the truck to a dealer and they changed the front hub, and now tell you that the diffs need to be done - sounds like they are just asking you to open your wallet and not actually diagnosing the problem, easy money for them. I would try a good independent garage for a second opinion.