LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Over Conversions and Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Over Conversions and Lifts

I've been researching coil-over conversions for the LR3. I'm curious if any of you 'mates here have done a conversion. I'd like to be able to get some lift with the conversion, but it doesn't sound like the conversion offers any lift. I've also seen lifts that offer as much as 2" of lift. Any advice would be great.
I've been around lifted trucks for many years. I don't have a need to raise and lower a vehicle at the push of a button.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out LR3 Lift Kit - Johnson Rods - Range Rover Sport Lift Kit, they have a lot of info. The local dealership near me has been installing these on some range rovers and the customers are liking them. Also, the range rover sport forum on rangerovers.net has a bunch of people who are running these. There are some good discussions if you search. Proper alignment is extremely important after installing a rod lift.

Rocky road outfitters has an OME coil spring "lift" that is is advertising for the LR3 but I don't know anything about it. It could just be a coil conversion. If it was really a spring lift I'd think a lot more people would be using it/talking about it.

There's another company that makes a rod lift that a bunch of guys are using down in Australia/New Zealand but I can't remember the name. Something like Lamas.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Overlanding

I would guess the OME springs would replace the ajustable air-bags it is currnetly riding on?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Mudding

Yeah they replace the air springs, the website says about 2" of lift I just don't know how accurate it is and I haven't heard anyone on any the various LR3 forums I'm on say anything about them. I know that AB sells a coil conversion kit for the LR3 but it also includes the ability to re-program the computer so that the lack of air suspension isn't messing w/ the traction control, ABS, etc. I don't know if or how the OME spring replacement takes any of that into consideration. It would be interesting to know the specifics.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Overlanding
Default Lift

What tire size can you get with 2"? I'm surprised no one has a spacer that fits at the top of the spring bucket. That would be a simple way to get a little lift. Does anything need to get extended with the 2" lifts?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Mudding

the website i gave you above lists tire sizes for use with their 2.5" lift rods.
I don't think spacers work with the LR3 frame style, don't know why but I've been told this by others who know a lot more than I do. Nothing needs to get extended but you need to be real careful about alignments.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by vabuckaroo
What tire size can you get with 2"? I'm surprised no one has a spacer that fits at the top of the spring bucket. That would be a simple way to get a little lift. Does anything need to get extended with the 2" lifts?

There is a spacer (Toddco) - but don't do it. They change the suspension geometry and cause the a-arm to hit the airbag and pop it.

Just get some rods, or the IIDtool and change the height in the computer

Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Overlanding

I guess if the conversion doesn't give any lift then I'll use OME springs. I'd like to get away from the airbags. I'm also planing to run a winch bumper so I'll need something a little stiffer anyway.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey to break to you but all land rovers and range rovers are designed for offroading and winches. No additional equipment is needed. They use to have an offroad competition in the middle of nowhere and trust me these vehicles did pretty well. How about you learn how to drive the vehicle first instead of relying on ***** envy of the jeep guys. Trust me those guys with large lifted rigs get very little use of them and don't know how to offroad. They just go over stuff.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Overlanding

Well, I have off-roaded most of my life in numerous vehicles. My dad took me with him when he went 'wheeling. Since most of my wheeling is done alone, I feel it's good insurance to be able to self-extricate. I don't give a rat's *** what everybody else does.
OME lists two sets of springs. One set is recommended for vehicles with winches, one for vehicles without.

Quick Reply: Coil Over Conversions and Lifts