LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LR3 Dies While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks bbyer, that sounds like a plan. Filling up tomorrow and we'll take a few hard tuns and hit that cut in the road. If all goes without incident I'll hit the same hazards later in the week as the fuel level drops. At least I won't have to wait long to run through a tank of gas at 14 mpg. Who would have thought there would be a situation in which crappy gas mileage would be a good thing.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Here's something else I noticed, after the Rover dies and I restart, it feels as if the trans is in low gear as I let off the accelerator. If I accelerate to about 45-50mph this doesn't happen. It only occurs at low speeds and only for a little while after a shut down incident.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Down to a little less than 3/4 of a tank. No problems yet. I've tried quick acceleration, quick stopping, turning at a high rate of speed, various potholes, speed bumps, RR tracks etc. I even went over the cut in the road and took a median at a right angle a few times and no issues. I'll report back as I get under a 1/4 tank.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Developmental Test Driver, you are.

When you have figured out the problem, (and you will), you will beable to regard yourself as a developmental test driver.

This is what they do - try to duplicate conditions and discover what is wrong. Expect a call from Toyota, as lately, they have needed your kind of guy.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Here we are, I went through a full tank of gas. The observations I made are as follows; Ran like a top up until I got around 1/2 full. At that point I noticed starts were not as quick. It took about 2-3 seconds of the motor cranking to start where as above 1/2 full it only takes a second. Also the idle wasn't rough but I would say less than smooth. I noticed slower throttle response and some slight sputtering upon acceleration from a stop. I also backed up into a parking block kind of hard and when I put it in park the Rover was dropping RPM's intermittently actually sort of rhythmic. As I approached a 1/4 tank the symptoms got worse and I was then able to get the Rover to die in the a fore mentioned obstacles. My amateur guess is there is something going on with the fuel pump or fuel level sensors. Any thoughts?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Fuel tank internals.

This is a link to a 10 page pdf that shows the internals within your gas tank and describes what the parts are supposed to do. I am not certain that it will be much help however the good news is that probably you now have narrowed the source of the problem down somewhat. Someone out there must know the answer. It cannot be all the difficult however getting to it will be unless for some reason it has to do with the venting.

I am almost thinking that with a low tank, you should run with the gas cap off or loose. That of course will set off another set of warning lights and messages but they will self extinguish in time once the cap is screwed back on tightly. If the 3 runs with the cap off and low fuel, then the problem is somehow tank vacuum related and that suggests that emissions valve circuit which does go on the blink.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/LR3 Air Conditioning High Line electrical wiring diagrams

Below is a more direct link to the pdf.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu..._Operation.pdf

Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm fairly certain that all recall work was done but is there a way to double check that the fuel tank was replaced as per the recall?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Default info on the recall re gas tank

The link below and copy of, relates to fuel tanks in about 6,116 model year 2006 units. There is also a phone number for I presume LR USA for more info.

Also do a Google search using Land Rover Fuel Tank Recall or something like that - there is a fair bit of related material that shows up.

Recall Date:
JAN 17, 2007

Model Affected:
2006 LAND ROVER LR3

Summary:
SOME SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY HAVE FUEL TANKS THAT CONTAIN AN INTERNAL BREATHER PIPE THAT WAS NOT MADE TO SPECIFICATION. THIS COULD RESULT IN EXCESSIVE SWELLING AND CRACKING OF A GROMMET AND SUBSEQUENT DETACHMENT OF THE BREATHER PIPE FROM A CONNECTOR TUBE. WHEN THE FUEL LEVEL IN THE TANK IS ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE DETACHED JOINT, FUEL MAY THEN ENTER THE BREATHER PIPE AND EXCESS FUEL MAY BE DISCHARGED ONTO THE GROUND.

Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL TANKS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 12, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT LAND ROVER AT 1-800-637-6837.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
LAND ROVER P001

2006 Land Rover LR3 Recalls | Find Used

Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Been a while, here is an update. The 3 dies regardless of fuel level, speed (never died on the Highway though), driving conditions, distance traveled or weather. I used all the different terrain programs and it died in all of them. It has died at stop lights while idling, while turning, sometimes on speed bumps and always after hitting a FIAT eating sized pothole. Occasionally the engine will seem to be running because the tach is reading 1500 or so RPM's but I get no throttle response other than the tach ticking up 100 RPM's or so. I can't say it's on for certain because the engine always runs so smooth. But usually it just turns off like someone flipped a switch. I can usually feel the occurrence approaching because I get throttle hesitation, a drag feel on deceleration and a really stiff almost hard to turn steering wheel for about 20 miles of travel prior to the event. The only consistent thing I noticed is it takes about 2 minutes before I can restart it but when I turn the key to the on position I don't get the chimes that indicate the 'SYSTEM CHECK IN PROGRESS' message. I get the message but not the chimes. Also, if I try to restart before the 2 minutes has elapsed The motor will catch but run really rough for a few seconds and then dies. Any help? Please???

Last edited by cfd01; 04-28-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Three Wheeling

One other thing, my wife left it idling for about 25 minutes one day and when she tried to put it in gear it ran rough she got the 'DECREASED ENGINE PERFORMANCE' message and it died. She took the key out of the ignition waited 2 minutes and it restarted just fine. In fact it ran like new for about 300 miles which is the longest I've gone without it dying on me.

Quick Reply: 2005 LR3 Dies While Driving