LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 lr3

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 Shifter Cable

Good morning, I need some advice.
I recently did the transmission filter service along with a new set of solenoids but I screwed up, I forgot to disconnect the shifter cable before doing so, now it doesn't lock in park, doesn't recognize reverse, etc.
My question is, is it a simple adjustment that I can do or should I take it to a transmission shop? The actual transmission/soleniod work turned out fine, no longer on limp mode, just waiting for the truck to clear the codes on it own.

Thank you for any help!

thanks,
Miguel

Last edited by miguelalanis; 10-01-2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Changing title
Old 10-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

you can adjust the cable yourself.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Overlanding

So it's as easy as explained in the Selector Lever Cable Adjustment.pdf??

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong but you shouldn't need to disconnect the shifter cable when putting the valve body back in. You do need to make sure that you line up the little slider nub on the mechatronic unit that tells it what gear it is in. If you didn't do that you should probably take the pan off again

Old 10-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Overlanding

Yes, I did align the slider, everything slide right back in, but when I was reading the instructions, that's when I noticed I missed a step. I ended up having to manually do the shifter with that emergency lever. It goes in park, but the truck still rolls. I can put it in drive and it drives fine, just doesn't recognize park, reverse, neutral, so that's why I was thinking it needs to be adjusted.

Any recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks,
Miguel

Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Three Wheeling

If it is the cable adjustment it is as simple as putting it in park from inside the car, loosening the 13mm(?) nut securing the cable, manually putting the transmission into park with the lever on the side of the transmission and re-tightening the nut. I am just confused on why it would be out of adjustment after swapping solenoids. Did you release the cable at any point?

https://www.zf.com/global/media/medi...ion_V02_EN.pdf

Old 10-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Does the PRNDL show an "E" in the window? I think kenneypj1 is right. The slider and spool are not installed correctly. I know from experience. If I remember correctly I was getting a trans error in the shifter window.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Overlanding

It doesn't show any errors. I was able to drive it, seems like the filter & solenoid change helped it greatly, just didn't recognize park or reverse, neutral. I've since have gone under and tried to adjust the cable, no help, now it doesn't recognize drive, etc. They flash on quickly but then disappear. I'm afraid I may have to take everything apart again, I'm just unsure of where the slider on the solenoid body should be in order to avoid this mess again.

Again, thank you guys for all your input, just a little frustrated.

Thanks,
miguel

Old 10-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Old 10-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the pic kenneypj1!

I'm a decent mechanic I'd like to think, I can't believe that skipping one step let to this. I was reading someone else's fix for their issue which was exactly my same issue, so I followed his steps with the exception of disconnecting the shifter cable before removing the pan/filter/solenoid body. When I put everything back in, nothing was out of place, slipped right back in, or at least I thought.
Went to turn the engine on, nothing. Ended up calling a mobile mechanic and he said all that was needed was adjusting the shifter cable. He did that and said everything was aligned, he left. I still had to put the fuel tank back on because I was also doing the fuel sending units because they were out. Long story short, turned the truck on, notice reverse wasn't working but drive was fine. Did exactly the procedure of 30% throttle up to 60 miles per hour for 3 miles, repeated it 2 more times, drove like a champ. Got home, put it in Park and that's when I noticed the LR would move while in Park.
I tried to adjust it myself and now it doesn't even stay in drive, not to mention the other positions and the key is locked in ignition. I'm hopelessly frustrated with the situation, my only thing I can think of doing is taking everything apart again and start over.

thanks,
Miguel

Quick Reply: 2006 lr3