LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 Intermittent Starting Issue, crank no start, with peculiar characteristic

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 06:08 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 Intermittent Starting Issue, crank no start, with peculiar characteristic

Hello all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Having a crank but no start intermittent starting issue with my 2006 V6 LR3. After scouring the internet it's apparent this is a prevalent issue that any number of things could cause, but I haven't seen anyone mention a specific characteristic of my situation, which is after it starts for the first time on a given day, it's good to go. The good news is that I never have this issue away from home, the bad news is that the issue is getting worse and worse, to the point now it wouldn't start yesterday or today.

I've been dealing with this issue going on 3 years. Initially the issue occurred most often when it was hot outside (living in Florida) and the vehicle was sitting in the sun in my driveway. I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the starter relay, and all was good for a couple months. After that I'd get the crank with intermittent no start until about a year later I replaced the battery and the issue was resolved for about a month.

I've always been able to get it to crank, just not able to get it to start at times. Prior to 2 days ago, I'd have to turn the key 1 to 4 times to get it to start first thing in the morning, but after that it would start right up on the 1st crank throughout the day, regardless of how far I drove, even half a mile down the road where the vehicle would be running for only 3-4 minutes.

Not sure if this is relevant but about 3 weeks ago I had the check engine light come on for a couple days with the error code p0441-Replace EVAP purge solenoid vacuum house. Since it went away I didn’t pay it much mind.

Would love to get your opinions on it. As it stands now I’m looking to replace the crank position sensor as that seems like the easiest and cheapest next step.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2024, 07:12 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you see this recent thread? The diagnostic data is a bit (a lot) over my head but the gist is that the starter was at fault.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...etimes-120131/

Fresh or confirmed good battery is a must, and a LR-specific (as opposed to the generic P code) OBD code may be required to assist with troubleshooting.

The following users liked this post:
LR3owner (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

So only that one code?

I will toss this out there since it sounds similar, read through this and if you have any parallels it is something to consider. Keep in mind the thread below is for a V8. But the V6 also has a crank sensor and it could possible be that too.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...etimes-120131/

Beyond that, I would replace the fuel pump relay. Standard relay, so super cheap at under $20. You can even just swap it with another for now from a less critical system. You may also want to try the Disco 3 UK Forums, they have a lot more experience with the V6. https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/

LR3owner (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 08:36 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Given that the crank position sensor can (in some instances) move from proper functioning to outright failure in a very short span of time (!), I would second your intention of changing it. Proactive maintenance. If you are making a longer term commitment to keeping your Three, this is one repair you can cross off the list!

LR3owner (01-24-2024)