LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 V8 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 V8 starting problem

I have had intermittent starting problems. The battery is fully charged, and I have cleaned the MAF and the TB. For a while, it would start every time.

Lately (and it was this way intermittently when I first got it), after it sits for a while, sometimes several days as I don't drive it much, it will not start. I usually get a click from the starter (depends on how long it's been sitting), but it will not start.

What I have done is keep trying, and it will usually start. I have resorted to rapid "on/off" with the key, and this seems to shorten the time it takes to start.

It seems like the starter. Could it be a loose connection on the starter? Could it be a corroded ground that voltage finally overcomes?

It is not showing any codes. When it does start and is driven, there is no pattern to it restarting.

It getting to the point where I'm considering getting rid of it and buying a reliable Japanese car. Hate to do that, but trying to get somewhere and having to deal with this is just getting to be too much.

Any help is most appreciated.

Last edited by comleader; 09-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear
Default Starter problems

When I bought my 2006 LR3 with 84,000 miles on it for 15,500 that looked absolutely beautiful, it did show a fault. I didn't know what it meant or what it was. It had a weird starting problem that led to not starting at all. It made a weird clicking sound and would do nothing. I ended up needing a new starter. I had it installed at my local dealer. $600. no more starter problem.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A ground problem can sometimes be diagnosed by taking a battery jumper cable, connect one end to negative battery and the other end to stout metal on the engine or frame.

Starters draw on the order of 300 amps. So just a little corrosion in the right spot can make problems. And sometimes it seems temperature sensitive, has a mind of it's own.

I am assuming you say click, but don't say "cranks". If the starter engages after the click, and rotates the engine (serpantine belt moves - or cranking), but it does not start and run, then there are other problems. Batteries can have dead cells, many parts stores have free test in the vehilce.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-04-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for your responses. When it clicks, it does not turn over. After repeatedly rapidly turning the ignition on, then off, it will start, assuming I don't get too frustrated and just walk away.

Today, after sitting all night, I went to move it and it started right up. The temp today is a bit warmer than yesterday, so it would seem to support your temperature sensitivity theory.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Failed/failing stater solenoids are not uncommon on this engine. The solenoid is available separate from the starter motor itself.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear
Default Starter

I forgot to add, I really like my LR3 V8. I live in the city and needed a truck for towing a camper. The LR3 fits easily into my garage with another car. For anyone that is wondering it tows like a dream. Other than the front seat lumbar support problem, I really like it. It now has 101500 miles on it. I have had work done on the front end and replaced the compressor as well as brakes. All work that would be done on any vehicle of the year and millage.
I always have my work done at the same Land Rover dealer near my house. Any time I have had a job Quoted out it was only a $200.00 difference. Not worth the chance of a screw up. Keep the LR3.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Looking at the shop manual pages for the starter r & r; seems like you have to take loose a lot of suspension related parts. Wonder if the pros have a work around for this, or if the solenoid can be replaced without removing the starter. Banging on the starter and it begins to work is often a sign of a bad solenoid.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Starter Motor Removal.pdf (158.0 KB, 547 views)
Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Starter comes out to replace solenoid, it's tight and far from nice and easy, but with the right tools it comes out without as much as the book calls for.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Looking at the shop manual pages for the starter r & r; seems like you have to take loose a lot of suspension related parts. Wonder if the pros have a work around for this, or if the solenoid can be replaced without removing the starter. Banging on the starter and it begins to work is often a sign of a bad solenoid.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread. The starter can be removed with simple tools without touching any of the suspension bits.

You need to remove the passenger wheel and the disc brake shielding. Disconnect battery to keep suspension from moving and use jack stands. The control arm needs to be lifted (compressed) slightly. Make sure you have a jack stand holding this as well. I also used the jack as a backup. Simple two bolts and an electrical connector. I found a cheap RR starter on Rock Auto for $35.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

@Comleader - I can't believe I read your post ..... we have identical problem starting our 2008 LR3. Mainly when cool (won't say cold, because the other morning it was about 65 degrees out and it took me ten attempts to finally get it to turn over). However, once it's going and warm, it's fine for the day....only first thing in the morning.

So, I will show this thread to my mechanic....a solenoid, huh? Makes sense..... the starter does seem fine so I have been simply out of guesses. And, of course, my mechanic cannot replicate the issue.

If you all have learned anything else since these posts, please let me know. thanks.

Quick Reply: 2006 LR3 V8 starting problem