LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Android Auto/Carplay with Navigation, voice command, etc to 2006 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding Android Auto/Carplay with Navigation, voice command, etc to 2006 LR3

I installed this unit in April but wanted to use it for a while before making a decision if it was worth it or not. After taking it on a long road trip to Cape Cod as well as daily commuting I can honestly say this unit performs great. Having Waze or Google maps, podcast streaming, voice calling, voice texting, back up camera as well as front camera really improves the driving experience and makes me love my LR3 even more. I bought it from a company in England called Unique Auto Developments. It was pretty straight forward to install although the instructions suck. I had a problem at first getting it turned on, the ground wire had pulled slightly away from the plug, the company replied to my emails about that but never got back to me with three other questions I had about wiring up the cameras. I'd say support is lacking. It plays through my existing radios AUX port and I can still use the Rovers bluetooth connection to talk on the phone even though the call is going through the new unit. When I get into the car i plug my phone in and Android auto automatically comes up and I'm ready to go. All in all works great.

front camera

rear camera

Charging port for phone, one for android auto, the other for phone mirroring

Looks factory

Have to remove storage box

One cut, straight across the top to remove box

Last edited by JoeManley; 06-03-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Very cool

Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice bit of kit. Been thinking about upgrading mine and this looks good.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Overlanding

I would say it works as advertised. It's not buggy, doesn't crash, never needed to reboot, comes on as soon as I start the car, hooks up to Android auto in about 10 seconds. The only quirk I've seen is that I need to wait about a minute after the phone and unit connect to use voice navigation. After that i just press the microphone button say where I want to go and it switches to Waze and It's spot on. I have Uconnect in my Chrysler and CUE in my Caddilac and this understands commands better than either of those.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

sweet. What was the cost?, if you don't mind me asking...

Old 06-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Overlanding

It shows £485.99 on their website right now. It was £435.00 when I bought it plus £30 for shipping.So around $600 total, but they have doubled the memory since then. And of course I added both front and rear cameras which i bought off Amazon for $19 and $49. So not cheap, but worth it to me. Here's a link to the website and some specs I copied about the memory upgrade:
  • from 1GB DDR3 RAM/16GB ROM (1+16) To 2GB DDR3 RAM/32 GB ROM (2+32)
https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/disc...-android-auto/

Last edited by JoeManley; 06-04-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Thanks Joe.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:02 PM
4wd Low

I’m looking at getting one of these units. Can you provide some detail on how you installed and connected the reverse camera?
Thanks

Old 11-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by 09LR3
I’m looking at getting one of these units. Can you provide some detail on how you installed and connected the reverse camera?
Thanks
Amazon Amazon

This is the camera I bought on Amazon for $50, it's very clear and works well day or night, better than the factory cameras I have in my other cars. It replaces one of the licence plate lights and works as a light as well as a camera. The camera is powered by tapping into the reverse light, the hardest part is taking the rear door panel apart to get the wire through the rubber connector to the body then snaking the wire into the headliner, down to the floor,behind the carpet along the door sills and up into the head unit.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:23 AM
4wd Low

Great thanks. You still happy with the Android head unit?

Quick Reply: Adding Android Auto/Carplay with Navigation, voice command, etc to 2006 LR3