LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Android Auto/Carplay with Navigation, voice command, etc to 2006 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 03:43 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I've had it for nine months now with no problems. I'm sure there are features that I never bothered to learn, I just plug my phone in and Android auto shows up with everything I need. I've gone on vacations to unfamiliar places and used the voice navigation extensively every day for weeks at a time. I've used it to commute to work three and a half hours a day for a few weeks and Waze took me a different way almost every day to avoid the horrendous traffic around Philadelphia. I am very impressed with its performance and utility. I would buy it again.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:37 PM
4wd Low

Have you used the built in nav much or relied on the Android auto? I’d like to have decent nav without having to use data from my phone.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:06 AM
Overlanding

Sorry, I haven't used it, only Waze and Google Maps. With unlimited phone plans so cheap now, I haven't really thought about it.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:27 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So if a fellow like me, who can barely change out a light bulb, waves one of these, could I hire a local ship to install it? What would a fair price for labor be on something like this?

Old 12-28-2019, 01:53 AM
4wd Low

Joe,
I just got finished installing this along with a backup camera. I ran in to a few issues with the brackets but was able to modify and overall am really happy with it. For some reason I can’t get the built in microphone to work for phone calls though...I have to rely on the factory microphone.
Also, did you have to do anything with the guideline adjustment for the backup camera?
Thanks

Old 12-29-2019, 02:22 PM
Overlanding

09LR3
I'm not sure what you mean about the built in microphone. My phone is paired through bluetooth to the car itself and to the Android unit through the cable when I plug it in which automatically starts android auto. To make a phone call, I usually press the microphone button on the Android units screen and say "call whoever" and the unit switches over to the phone app and makes the call. i can hear the callers voice over the speakers and the LR3 microphone picks up my side. They say they can hear me fine and I've never had any complaints. I don't see the use of the microphone in the unit itself so i haven't tried to change it. As far as the guide lines on the back up camera, I haven't adjusted them. I guess you mean that the camera is not centered in the rear on the Rover so the lines are also offset to the left side a bit. I just keep that in mind while backing up. Sorry I'm not much help with all the features of the unit. I wanted to have Android Auto with Waze, phone, texts and podcasts as well as a good back up camera in the Rover and as soon as I got that set up I basically just quit exploring what else the unit does. I use it every time I drive and have been completely happy so far. In fact I was just in Manhattan on Christmas to see my son and It was invaluable to have real time navigation on a clear screen just where I can see it while fighting my way across the island while also listening to any song I called out over the already excellent LR3 sound system. Amazing to have those features in a fourteen year old vehicle. Hope you are happy with the unit and Happy new year!

Old 12-29-2019, 04:33 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Joe. I have reached out to the Amazon seller of the camera and Unique about guideline adjustment, I’ll let you know if I find a solution. As for the microphone, mine is working fine for calls using the original Bluetooth system also. The unit has a built in microphone which I believe is used for Siri/Android Auto voice commands - I wondered if it may have better sound quality than the original microphone but it doesn’t seem to activate for phone calls.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:52 PM
Overlanding

09LR3
OK, I understand now. The built in microphone must be working then because I use voice commands all the time. I hadn't even noticed the guidelines were offset until you brought it up, had to go out and check! Must not be too bad, I haven't backed into anything, yet. Take care.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Overlanding

09LR3
Here is one thing that might be helpful: The volume on the new Android unit is set at about halfway and re sets to that level every time you start the car. So if you have the sound turned up on the radio and your not getting the volume you want remember there is another volume button that you have to turn up. Seemed like a bit of a bother at first, but I've got into the habit of automatically pressing the up volume button as soon as I start the car. Also I've never figured out how to turn the unit off and on and It seems to turn itself off sometimes when parked for a few days so can see it boot up when I start the car and other times it comes right on at start up. It never has not come on when I start up, just sometimes a full boot up, other times like it's just been in sleep mode.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

My android head unit came with a microphone that i fitted just in front of the dash binnacle in front of the tacho, voice quality is very good and was easier to place it there than over head near the sun visor.
I sit my phone in the space where the factory sat nav screen is which mine doesnt have, i use Igo Primo Nextgen on the head unit and just loaded the latest version with updated maps.

Quick Reply: Adding Android Auto/Carplay with Navigation, voice command, etc to 2006 LR3