LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Android Auto/Carplay with Navigation, voice command, etc to 2006 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

@JoeManley This Android unit has a very strong polished finish. I was able to remove my Navigation Unit and put in a iPad Mini 2, and it had given me all the apps and functionality that my phone/laptop offers. I am really torn with getting the well polished unit. One question that I had......how well are you able to intergrate your pre-existing accounts that you may have on your phone and/or other devices. I included a picture of what my install looks like.

I have more photos of the cables used to set it up, and I am sure many of them can be used if I make the transition to the Android unit.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, that’s odd, I have not had that problem with volume resetting. I set at 25 on the Android unit and it has stayed there. I know what you mean about the extended boot up if the truck has been parked for a day or two.

yockstar, I think you will be happy upgrading from the tablet. I use Apple and the CarPlay literally is your phone transposed onto the screen in a more car friendly interface. CarPlay only allows certain apps to be used for safety though. When the phone is unplugged the Android experience is highly customizable - for example I installed the AGAMA car launcher for an OE look with Land Rover logo and green lighting theme. Backup cam is a plug and play addition too. If you decide to go for it there’s a couple installation tips I figured out from trial and error for the screen and backup cam I could pass on.

The following users liked this post:
Skyjacker03 (03-22-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe, does your unit allow access to the stock 4x4 and settings menus? i don't care about the nav system, just the other functions.

The following users liked this post:
Joshua Ian (02-15-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 07:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow up

I have a few questions for anyone that have or did have the units in this post.

How are these units holding up?

Does it have a connection for the radio? I would like to be able to listen to the radio while running navigation.

any other tips or tricks for install?

One member said they have the Land Rover logo come up on start up. Can you do that if you don’t have an Android phone?

Did anyone figure out how to center the lines in the back up camera?

how is the front camera activated?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-22-2020, 02:38 PM
4wd Low

No problems so far. All factory radio function remains, there’s no radio function on the Android unit. The Android unit uses the aux connection for audio output so you could not have radio and aux audio at the same time. You could have visual navigation and radio audio though.
The Land Rover logo and entire UI can be controlled in settings or by installing Launchers from Google Play which I would recommend - the stock UI and music player apps are not good. I’m using AGAMA Launcher and Poweramp music player.
I ended up getting a ParkVision Pro back up camera with image adjustment function and was able to get it a lot closer to center. There’s a tradeoff with the cameras - PV can be adjusted but image quality, especially at night, is not as good. There is a licence light mount camera that has great image quality but is way off center.
Installation just requires some patience and time but isn’t too complicated. If you get one let me know if you have questions.
Overall it’s a great upgrade, brings modern tech and makes the truck seem 10 years newer. Android Auto/CarPlay is a game changer - that’s how I use it 99% of the time.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyjacker03
I have a few questions for anyone that have or did have the units in this post.

How are these units holding up?

Does it have a connection for the radio? I would like to be able to listen to the radio while running navigation.

any other tips or tricks for install?

One member said they have the Land Rover logo come up on start up. Can you do that if you don’t have an Android phone?

Did anyone figure out how to center the lines in the back up camera?

how is the front camera activated?

Thanks,
Joe
If you fit a proper android head unit there will be no issues with the audio, i can play music from the inbuilt 32gig storage or the radio while using navigation and any nav voice/sounds will play over the top. Had my unit almost right on 1 year with not a single issue, reverse camera lines are transposed onto the screen and my front camera is activated with the inbuilt DVR app.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:10 PM
4wd Low

loanrangie, which android head unit are you using? Did you replace the entire radio?

Old 03-22-2020, 06:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by 09LR3
loanrangie, which android head unit are you using? Did you replace the entire radio?
Yes.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m guessing Lonrangie doesn’t have the HK system. The only option that I know is the spiral audio harness. I believe you loose the clock on your dash and you loose the ability to fade the speakers front/rear. But you can retain the factory amp.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Skyjacker03
I’m guessing Lonrangie doesn’t have the HK system. The only option that I know is the spiral audio harness. I believe you loose the clock on your dash and you loose the ability to fade the speakers front/rear. But you can retain the factory amp.
Yes base stereo CD400, only lost the clock and i added steering wheel controls and a 2nd screen into the top dash. Connects2 do a MOST harness to retain the amp or you can get an amp bypass harness.

Quick Reply: Adding Android Auto/Carplay with Navigation, voice command, etc to 2006 LR3