LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air and Heat Contol or blend door issues

Old 10-02-2016, 01:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Success! I swapped the blend door motor out for a replacement. It now works. It no longer goes into 60-90 second delay while the Hvac system runs its diagnostics. Thanks for the input. I plugged the motor in and watched it move as I adjusted the temperature. I haven't reinstalled the motor yet. Thanks again. Phil

2005 LR3
2006 Range Rover Sport

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (10-02-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well nothing on these vehicles seems to be easy. The new stepper motor got the Hvac control head unit operating properly. However, The stepper motor that I got is not for the drivers side lower blend door. There are four different motors. They each have unique purposes and the white plastic tabs on the back of the motors are different. They each press into the motors in only one unique way. The motors themselves are programmed to rotate differently. The one On the drivers side lower only moves about 45 degrees to open and close the blend door.

I am going to have to get the correct motor. Meanwhile the ac works great. The heater works great on the passenger side but not on the drivers side.

bbyer (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Motor part numbers?

When you do get the correct part numbers, would you post them.

I note that my post #9 denotes part numbers, and while I think they are correct, what with changing part numbers and the issue of left hand and right hand driver effecting the part numbers, one is never certain.

We much appreciate you keeping us up to date on your progress. I regard the HVAC system is really tricky to figure out what is wrong and the motors as near impossible to access to replace them - hence one wants the correct motor on hand before one attempts the fix.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

the lower driver's side stepper motor is part number MF113930-0680b
the lower passenger side stepper motor is part number MF113930-0681g

I checked at Merriam Land Rover. The part numbers listed on that site are not the same as the numbers that are printed on the parts themselves. The left and right side lower motors have different rotations to them, they are not interchangeable. The white nylon/plastic tabs/arms that actually mover the blend doors only fit one way in the motors, they aren't the same. Roverland is sending out the correct motor.

I am heading to Utah this afternoon, it is snowing in the mountains, I will probably have to manually move the blend door and tape it in place, otherwise, I only get cold air on the drivers side.......interestingly, when the fan is operating, the blend door will stay where ever I set it. Once the fan is off, it releases and drops to the default position, cold air.....phil

Old 10-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Denso numbers

Those MF numbers are what I would call the Denso part numbers rather than the Land Rover part numbers.

Land Rover changes part numbers from time to time; why I do not know, but I gather it is sometimes just so the price of the same identical part can be changed; other times it is because the part has changed internally, but externally, looks the same. When that happens, often the manufacturer part number molded into the case remains the same, as the case did not change, but internally, something is different.

Those or some other explanation would suggest why the Merriam Land Rover part numbers are different from above, and also perhaps from what I posted in #9.

The eBay link is what I found for the Denso number.

29643 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE LR3 2006 Heating Actuator MF113930 0680 B | eBay

Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
the lower driver's side stepper motor is part number MF113930-0680b
the lower passenger side stepper motor is part number MF113930-0681g

I checked at Merriam Land Rover. The part numbers listed on that site are not the same as the numbers that are printed on the parts themselves. The left and right side lower motors have different rotations to them, they are not interchangeable. The white nylon/plastic tabs/arms that actually mover the blend doors only fit one way in the motors, they aren't the same. Roverland is sending out the correct motor.

I am heading to Utah this afternoon, it is snowing in the mountains, I will probably have to manually move the blend door and tape it in place, otherwise, I only get cold air on the drivers side.......interestingly, when the fan is operating, the blend door will stay where ever I set it. Once the fan is off, it releases and drops to the default position, cold air.....phil
if only you knew someone in CA that parts rovers... hint hint

Old 10-09-2016, 11:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just a quick update. I drove up and back to Utah over the past couple of days. About 800 miles one way. I got 17.8 mpg on the way up averaged about 81 mph overall. Utah is posted 80 mph mist of the way from st george to salt lake. I averaged 20.1 mpg on the return trip. 4.4 v8. I was very pleasantly surprised. The sport ran great. I did have to manually flip the blend door in order to get any heat on the drivers side (The default was a/c blowing in the drivers footwell.). Very happy with the performance and the high end sound system. Phil

Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Race truck

I regard my 3 first as a mobile computer with 4x4 capabilities, and secondly, as a race truck.

It really is a turnpike cruiser and this is where the air suspension programming specialties come into play. At the speeds you averaged, the suspension system had dropped a bit - not really visibly noticeable, but a common feature for the right lane vehicles traveling on the European auto routes, and hence also in the 3. The 3 is designed to move confidently at speed.

My regard of the sound system is that it is like having the Boston Pops along for the ride, but without all the baggage. For my kind of music, (not heavy metal), the radio is impressive.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I should note that the temp got down to 27 driving over a few of the mountain passes on Thursday night and was in the 30s at times yesterday morning. The AC was ice cold and worked great when I got to the desert from St. George, Utah, through Las Vegas and then on down to San Diego. The ice box was a great feature that I had't really used much in the past. Oddly, on the way up, it would shut off after about 30 minutes of use. On the return trip it seemed to work fine. The truck didn't use a drop of oil. My only complaint would be the headrests, I wish that they had an adjustment front to back, height wasn't really an issue, but I wish that I could have pushed the driver's side headrest back a little. The scenery was spectacular, the fall colors in the mountains, the aspen and quaking oaks are changing. I pulled off the road for a quick stop on Thursday night out in the middle of nowhere. No lights, buildings and no clouds, the stars and milky way were incredible! We don't get to see those here in San Diego. As I was passing by the Interstate 70 exit yesterday, I was that close to taking a detour over to Moab and calling in sick today.......Next time. All the best.

bbyer (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Holiday Thanksgiving Monday here in Canada

When you said 27 and 30, I first thought you were using Celsius and speaking of desert temperatures.

Here today we have about the same temperatures in Fahrenheit, but also with 2 inches of snow. Today is our Thanksgiving Holiday Monday as fall and winter come a bit earlier up here so Thanksgiving is moved up relative to the States.

I guess what I am saying is that here, you would have had the day off.

For me, the fixed headrests have not been a problem; I think it can be an angle of the seat back thing so to speak.

We appreciated the post; that is what driving can be - the freedom to escape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air and Heat Contol or blend door issues