LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Dash Warning Light - Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Airbag Dash Warning Light - Fixed

Hello, I fixed the red Airbag warning light that has been on for a short while (it illuminates within the rev gauge of the dash).

I fixed it by leaving the car at Madison, WI, airport this past week, to let the very cold weather take care of the repair - when I came home yesterday and started the car, the warning light did not show up. Excellent!

On a serious note, I obviously still need to get this issue properly examined and fixed if necessary, as it's a safety concern, but I thought that it was interesting enough to post a quick message here.

I drove for a couple hours, enough time for things to warm up, and the warning light did not come back on.

If there is still an issue, hopefully it's just related to the wiring beneath the driver seat. I have not fully researched, but apparently theres some sort of spring clock or clock spring within the steering column that is sometimes related to Airbag warning faults. Clearly I need to do a little more research. I'm clueless with airbags, but I believe you good people here on the forum have provided guidance on this topic, which I haven't looked at yet.

Cheers, Simon

Old 02-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

The airbag system has hard faults, meaning they can not normally be cleared by conventional means. Dealer or other more specialized means. A battery reset usually doe snot work. With that said, I suppose the extreme cold could have drained the restraint system computer enough to clear it. I don't know if it uses a small PRAM battery (BIOS) or if it has some sorta flash memory.

If its not coming back up, then there may not be an issue. Its runs a test every time the vehicle is started. I had mine on for a long time until I used the RSW software to clear it. My cause was removal of the passenger seat and power up the car. The seat buckle was disconnected, so it cause a hard fault. Battery disconnects never cleared it. When I got the software, it was the first thing I cleared!

If if comes up, I can bring my laptop down to get the actual fault code.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Mudding
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Dakota Travler!

It's very icy down here in the Madison area today. I imagine it's similar up the road in the Appleton area...

Anyway, thank you - I think you have specifically explained to me why I had the code in the first place -

As part of my diagnosis for why the LR3 would not start, for a very long and stressful length of time, back in the summer, I unplugged everything under and around the front driver seat, to remove the seat, to check the condition of all things electrical and connecty, below and near the seat. I know that the battery was still connected. And I know that at various times during this testing, I tried to start the car.

Anyway, you mentioned above: "My cause was removal of the passenger seat and power up the car. The seat buckle was disconnected, so it cause a hard fault."

So I'm guessing that was also the root cause of the Airbag warning light on my dash.

Moral of story for me - I have learned that I may need to disconnect the Battery 'more often', depending on what I am working on.

The Airbag Warning Light has not reappeared on dash since it went away when it was super cold the other week, so fingers crossed, looks as if I don't have an actual issue that I need to repair.

As to exactly why the warning light went away, without me actually doing anything, we will just file that in the large Mystery Electrical section of the Land Rover ownership department.

Cheers, Simon.