LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Keeps Going Off Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
The hood switch is either what is called normally open or normally closed. Regardless, when the hood is open, the switch closes and completes a circuit to ground and hence the alarm goes off. That is why there is some thought about the cable to the switch being cut such that it is already grounded regardless of if the hood is open or not.

Anyway, if disconnecting the cable from the switch does not silence things, then jump a wire between the two terminals. That will ground the circuit and then things will be noisy or not. If not, then you have a problem with the cable and not the switch.

There is a 17 page pdf as one of the files in the album link below that explains how the locking/alarm system operates. Opening the hood grounds the circuit and should cause the alarm to sound.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Power Window and Door Lock Circuits
Thanks !!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Mudding

Hood Switch is N.O. (Normally Open) I put a jumper in the Body Side connector to bypass the Hood Switch. After that I moved around the wiring to see if that could be a problem. No problem there.. When I removed the Hood Switch, some of the plastic tabs on it just broke apart. The plastic appeared to be pretty brittle which started me toward thinking the switch was past it's prime. I tested it anyway with my continuity meter and it was a bit spotty on maintaining a solid closed circuit. So, I am going to replace the switch and in the meantime see if the alarm goes off by itself anymore.

Thx !!
Xrover

Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default So the pdf and my explanation are wrong.

I appreciate your reply. I reread the hood ajar explanation on page 9/17 of the pdf below. I see that the wording is the reverse of how it says the door and tailgate ajar switches operate, (also on page 9/17).

It would make sense that all switches operated the same. The pdf says both the door and tailgate ajar switches when opened, "disconnects a ground from the CJB". This is the reverse of what it says re the hood switch but consistent with what you have determined, that is opening the hood also disconnects a ground to the CJB. That is why jumping the body side connector terminals yielded silence. This is also what would be called fail safe - cut the wires and the alarm goes off. I suppose it also explains why the vehicle battery eventually goes dead - the circuits are alive watching that all grounds are maintained. I note that the electrical drawings also show all switches as normally open, again a clue.

I do appreciate the heads up; it also sounds like a new switch is in order - not unusual, as the switch is known to give trouble.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...n_17_pages.pdf

Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bbyer
I appreciate your reply. I reread the hood ajar explanation on page 9/17 of the pdf below. I see that the wording is the reverse of how it says the door and tailgate ajar switches operate, (also on page 9/17).

It would make sense that all switches operated the same. The pdf says both the door and tailgate ajar switches when opened, "disconnects a ground from the CJB". This is the reverse of what it says re the hood switch but consistent with what you have determined, that is opening the hood also disconnects a ground to the CJB. That is why jumping the body side connector terminals yielded silence. This is also what would be called fail safe - cut the wires and the alarm goes off. I suppose it also explains why the vehicle battery eventually goes dead - the circuits are alive watching that all grounds are maintained. I note that the electrical drawings also show all switches as normally open, again a clue.

I do appreciate the heads up; it also sounds like a new switch is in order - not unusual, as the switch is known to give trouble.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...n_17_pages.pdf
How is the Nav Map update DVD working out for you?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Default NAV CD more up to date than I anticipated.

That "new" NAV CD is more up to date than I expected. The polar bears in the previously uncharted regions have for the most part been replaced with roads. I also noted some display format changes that for the most part are an improvement over what the circa 2004 CD displayed.

The NAV also seems more user friendly now - address input easier, that sort of thing.

Of particular delight was to discover what is called the Cowboy Highway, (#22), that parallels the eastern slopes of the Rockies thru cattle country. The trail, (now a paved 2 lane highway), dates from the eighties, (that is 1880's). It is nice to see the pavement now in the data base as that is my favourite route down to the Fernie BC ski area.

Also to my surprise, the service road leading to the new local VW dealership is even on the CD, (and that road is new) - my wife has a 4Motion Passat.

Attached Thumbnails Alarm Keeps Going Off Randomly-victoria-avenue-fernie.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Mudding

great!

Old 06-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR2 just started doing this since the weather warmed.

Wow - quite the pain! I just ordered a hood sensor/latch. I did see a 'Hood Open' warning on the dash but only once or twice - that's good enough for me.

Almost embarrassing at work and you are walking back to the garage as the darn thing goes off like someone is trying to break-in. Wondering how often it has happened when I was not around to hear it.

I will loop the circuit until I get it installed.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been happening to me the past few weeks. I was finally able to get to my LR this morning when the alarm was going off and no warnings showed on the dash. After unlocking and trying to lock again, the horn sounded and the car would not lock. I turned the car on and closed the driver door and then noticed that the dash showed that the rear passenger door was open even though it was closed completely.

Is there a sensor on the doors that can be replaced?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Yes, there is a tailgate ajar switch but ...

The tailgate ajar switch, (if that is the problem as opposed to wiring to the switch), is integral with the upper tailgate latch, (which is located in the lower tailgate), and has to be replaced as an assembly.

Look on the attached pdf, page 6 of 17 and page 9 of 17 for sketches of where the sensor is located in the lower tailgate.

Also you might wish to read the whole 17 pages as to fool around with the locking system successfully, it helps if you fully understand it.

You might also want to review the files within my tailgate album if you are going to cut into the area - you will see what I mean by "cut in" - there are wires within to be aware of before you cut.
DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Liftgate release mod

Also one of the files within is a pdf of the locking system wiring diagram. It is not your average analogue electric door lock system you might be familiar with; as will all bit Land Rover it is an introduction to the 21st century.

Attached Files