LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery or Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or Alternator?

Started my 05 HSE today for the first time since Friday morning. Its been cold here, about 10* for the last few days.

I reached in to start it then went a grabbed my coat. Cranked a bit longer than normal, but fired up just fine. When I hopped in the battery light was on. No other lights, no other sytems faults that I noticed. However the engine fan seems louder than normal.

89k on the clock, bought it used and have not replaced the battery since we purchased it. Earlier this winter I was getting random HDC, transmission, engine faults, but those stopped shortly after they started. No issues until today.

I know Rovers are expensive vehicles to guess at with parts, so that's what I'm trying to avoid. From what I've read on here the alternator can put out the correct voltage, but still be faulty.

Anything seem obvious to you guys?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

How old's the battery, you didn't mention how long since you bought it. Is the alternator original. What is the voltage at the battery before start, and after start. Any noise from the alternator specifically, or just a strain / roar.

I would expect that if the alternators gone, in most circumstances they output voltage will be low, which might trigger that battery light.

I'll try to help you find a cheaper parts source if you need an alternator, drop me a PM with e-mail if you want help on that.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply and offer for help. Ive sourced a alternator localy. If it needs one Ill need the rover back on the road asap, so Ill probably bit the bullet and go local.

We will have had the vehicle for a year this august, and I have no idea when the battery was last replaced. Its in the shop now, hoping to hear something soon.

Complicating the matter is a tension pulley that's howling like mad right now, so there are alot of factors in play. Hoping for the best (battery) and preparing for the worst.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

How do you know it's the pulley howling? My Alternator was the culprit when my LR3 was whining like Caillou....(owners with kids will appreciate that reference).

Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like maybe the Alt seized up partially. Keep us posted.