LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery light on/off and loud engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light on/off and loud engine noise?

Dear All,

I have a 2006 LR3 and it is creating some loud engine noise with the battery light come on & off along with the RPM guage moving between under and above 1000 even when gas padel is not pressed down.

Last weekend the cigreatte tray won't close, I was able to appart teh center console, revmovng the temp control unit, stereo and the cig lighter by reveiewing a few tips from various forums. However, I was not successful on completely removing the gear plate beacuse I could fiure out how to take out the shift gear. Long story short, I was able to remove the spring (metal roll) form the cig tray and out everything back in place. The problem is that the brakae pad seems to be lower thatn it should for some reason, the stereo can be turned on even when no key is in the ignition. On top of that, the engine now comes wiht the really loud noise when I drive the car, it seems that he car is not goign as it should, like plunging gas with very less acceleration. The RPM guage will move by it self up an ddown from half way bewteen zero to 1 and a little over one as if it is giving gas by itself. The noise can go away if I start the car a copule of times. Just not sure if I can actually screw up the electical casuing this problem.

Apreciate any ccomment you have before I take it to the dealer.

Many Thanks!

David

Old 09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear

Update from my LR auto shop instead of the dealer.

- Alternator is bad, covered by the warranty.
- Mechanic found corrosion with the harness and the micro computer, they said water got in somehow.

The parts and labor will cost $5900 on the harness, is that right? Should it be waterproof somehow since it is fr all wearher and terrain? Must I replace it? Please help!!!

Last edited by Rayred; 09-14-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Mudding

by your symtoms def a bad alternator i would be very weery about the rest that the dealer has told u.I would tell them to replace the alternator and leave the rest alone.If you want peace of mind go get a second opinion.oh and never bring ur truck to the dealer

Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually probably found corrosion at two places, the TCCM module and or the shifter from all the coffee that gets spilled.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

The Independent LR Auto Shop metioned the Transfer Case NNW512070 (ECU) needs to be replaced along witht eh harness. I got the truck back with a new alternator replaced and everythign seems to be just fine as before. I worry that this is something that I will have to replace eventually. Is this a common probelm with the harness? I felt that I was pressured to soend $6K on something that isn't ncessary. The shop we go to is recommended in the area rather thatn the dealer itself. Just want to be cautious.

Many Thanks,

Rayred