LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery terminal causing faults ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default doubt you have a compressor problem

Dirt within the compressor cover is kind of normal. For guys who have been really off roading in the mud, often the compressor is caked solid within the sound box to where there is no cooling available. You might wish to leave the lower cover off, go to one of those wand washes and try to wash out the upper cover and of course the lower. I do not think I would exactly aim the wand at the compressor as that may push water in to somewhere electrical.

Myself, I do not think you have a compressor problem - that would be too easy. It will be something more difficult, a defective sensor or two, breaking wire somewhere, a connector problem, a block valve sticking - something not very expensive but near impossible to figure out.

That was why I mentioned the F26E pull the fuse technique. I would just pull the fuse and see how the 3 reacts to no air available - that and if you have the NAV, see what the wheel motions show before you pull the fuse.

The air dryer is the black plastic kind of rounded end piece in the compressor pictures. Again, I would not fuss with it while away. Just leave all that alone til you get back. The game now is just to keep air pressure in the air springs so you can return without until fuss.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also removing that fuse triggers the fault to shows up ? Thanks merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Drifting

What about the block valve location ?

Old 12-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Well thanks for the advice !!,!,!,,,,,
When I removed the compressor I took off both covers and cleaned the very we'll and the compressor too
You have been so helpfully I truly appreciate your help

Old 12-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Default pulling the fuse depowers the suspension computer

Originally Posted by Lr3edm
Also removing that fuse triggers the fault to shows up ? Thanks merry Christmas
I am not certain if you are asking or telling, but with the fuse pulled, you should not get any suspension related lights.

This is because the suspension computer that processes the error messages and tells the red light to go on is de-energized - hence no faults can be registered.

You may wish to spend some time, (for me it was a lot of time), going thru the wiring diagrams as well as the line diagrams to get a good understanding of the system. The files in my album also have the LR service instructions to explain how the system is supposed to operate.

The front block valve is very hidden from view and located behind the right side fog light; the rear block valve can sort of be seen if you raise the vehicle full height and shine a flashlight in above the left rear tyre. The block valve is hard to see but sits about the middle of the vehicle above the "axle".

Incidentally, do not go sticking your hands etc in wherever poking about. The air system can auto deflate in milliseconds - you cannot move fast enough. The dealers work by supporting the 3 on its frame with the wheels drooping down - same with a tyre shop that understands your 3.

This also applies when fooling with the air compressor or anything else underneath - you must have tripods supporting the frame and no weight on the wheels/tyres. The 3 does not forgive.

Any stories you have read about leaving a door open and it will not drop are just that - stories - perhaps it is not designed to, but it will.

You have only one set of hands; LR does not carry spares at any price.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Drifting

I was asking , because I pulled the fuse (f26) I couldn't find the f26e fuse you suggested
And instantly the yellow fault showed up after I started

Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Will that also disable the special functions ?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Default disables the air suspension

The F26E fuse, that is F for Fuse and E for Engine compartment fuse box and 26 being the fuse number.

The jpg below is a picture of the label on the underside of the cover and shows the location of F26E air suspension fuse that you are to remove.

I am pretty certain that there are no lights after it is removed - been so long since I had to remove it, I forget for certain. Once you get your suspension fixed up and the bugs out, it is pretty reliable. You may get other lights but they will most likely not be suspension related. If your brake switch is defective, that generates more errors messages and lights etc.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...1_IMGP0529.JPG

You will have to access a real computer and view the files and pictures; I kind of think an iPhone or the like is just not adequate for this sort of detail.

The LR air suspension system when working is what makes a 3 different from say an upscale 4Runner with four corner air shocks or an air ride Tahoe, Cadillac, Buick or Ford let alone a Jeep; you will have to spend days reading the systems descriptions to learn all.

Attached Thumbnails Battery terminal causing faults ?-fuse-panel-description-vertical-b.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Drifting

That's so awesome buddy !! Thanks again
So today I went and picked up a battery charger , surprised to see it read 60%
Charged it fully l
Maybe that could cause faults too?
I will probably pull out that fuse tho if it happens again
Defective brake switch ? Lol joy
That's ok to drive with if that shows up ?

Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Default A fully charged battery is not normal.

A low battery is kind of normal on a 3; a fully charged battery is even more unusual.

The charging system when working properly seems only able to charge the CaCa battery to about 80% of what the battery manufacturer would call full charge. Yes, even when you drive directly from Calgary without stopping much, (well at most every gas station), the battery will only be at about 80%.

The link below has some discussion about that; I use a CTEK US3300; it normally takes about a week of over night charging to get the battery up to what the CTEK regards as charged. This is due in part to the well now not so unique chemistry of the CaCA spec battery, and the not so smart "Intelligent" regulator within the Denso alternator. Denso calls it an "Intelligent" regulator, I call it dumb as it takes its instructions from the Engine Computer rather than making its only decisions based on the state of battery charge - all due to considerations for the environment and emission controls.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Traxide Dual Battery install in LHDrive

Below relates to the brake light switch. As long as you are not seeing error messages such as "Cruise Control not Available" or "Tranny Shot - Replace with a New One", the switch is probably still OK. Regardless, if you do not like false messages like the above, you might consider installing a new switch this summer. This is a typical example of the baby crying needlessly just to get the parents attention. Burned out or non LR tail light bulbs will give you similar messages. In the case of the Tranny Shot message, back in 2005/6, LR believed the messages and was installing new trannys because owners were replacing burned out tail light bulbs with far east sourced tail light bulbs rather than LR bulbs

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement

Quick Reply: Battery terminal causing faults ?