LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Plans

Hello to all,

I had a tragic death of my Discovery 2 while in Auburn this semester, pictured below. I am now getting my dad's LR3 and I cannot wait, I've always loved the potential that it has.

Anyways, it is that "Tonga Green" color and I have already purchased a Johnson Rod's 2.5" lift and will be getting around 32" tires (hopefully I can get some quality tires on this car unlike the D2). When it gets back from the shop sometime next week I'm going to do the VHT nightshades tint on my taillights and I am going to use either plasti dip or truck bed liner for the rims. I have used both for my D2, and have no preference.

Anyways I'm excited to be a proud owner of this soon to be bad *** LR3.

I'll post pictures on this thread with all the new additions as soon as they are on.

Thank y'all,
Breck DeHart

WAR EAGLE

Attached Thumbnails Big Plans-screen-shot-2013-12-15-12.59.28-am.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The LR3 shop manual is a free download below. Hope the success of the Tigers holds out this season. Most exciting "1 second" in football.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you very much. That'll be very helpful for installation of the Johnson Rods. And yes, I hope it hold too, we want that national championship. It's defiantly been some of the best and luckiest football I've seen in person my 19 years haha.

Again thank you for the heads up on the shop manual

Old 12-15-2013, 02:32 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I put the Johnson Rods on mine and watched a video on YouTube where a guy installed 33 inch Nitto trail grapplers. So I put a set on. Don't do that! 33s are the smallest size for grapplers on 18 inch rims and they rub everywhere! I've relocated heater lines in the rear wheel arch, installed wheel spacers (and sorta lost the hub centering and experience a shaky steering wheel), cut up my bumper, cut and welded my sub frame. 32s are max! The 4.0L doesn't even turn the 33s on steep(ish) slopes in high gear.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Spiderman,

Thanks for the heads up. I had 33" on my D2 and It didn't work out too well until I basically trimmed the whole bottom section off, and even then it rubbed the slightest bit.

I for sure am not going bigger then 275/65r18 which is roughly 32.07" according to a few different tire size conversion sites. Even at those I am a little iffy, but I'm going to get them and if there is any problem while driving I'll probably try some spacer of some sort or do some minor trimming on the bumper but hopefully none of that is necessary.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default at least they look good

As I mentioned, the spacers will reduce or eliminate the hub centre mating surface and could potentially cause unwanted steering wheel shake, steering wander, vibration, uneven tire wear, loosening wheel nuts, and so on. Mine are only on the front and only 3/16" thick as that was all I was able to put on (without extra hassles like the studs not being long enough - I tried 1/2" first).

The width of tire was the first problem. The side lugs rubbed on the upper control arm in the front. Once I got the spacers in I noticed the tire would rub the mud guard liner in the rear wheel wells, and that was when I discovered the coolant lines that run to the rear heater. The attached picture shows plywood under the tires as I was constantly turning the wheels left and right to check my clearances the day they were installed and I started trimming.

But with all the negatives, I did pay $2,000 to purchase and install them, and they change the look of the LR3 from 'soccer mom' to to 'hard core off roader' without having to change anything else.

I will definitely have to down size on my next set and lose the aggressive look.

Attached Thumbnails Big Plans-472009_10151586019775383_1266683803_o.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Dang, that looks amazing. I've never seen those rims, reminds me of the hurricane rims on the D2 I like those a lot, look great. The whole car really looks great. I keep seeing lifted LR3s and I keep getting more and more excited about mine. I finished up some late night additions tonight, and I'm waiting for daylight to take pictures so I'l post them tomorrow.

Thanks for the update on the tires as well. I have just found a good price for 31.75" goodyear wrangler duratracs and I'll be going with those because they look great and they're great tires.

All that being said, your LR3 is defiantly one of the best lookin ones I've seen, props to that.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Three Wheeling

First two additions are on:
Blacked out Taillights and Grill

Subs and Johnson rods came in. I'll be putting the Johnson Rods on once "Santa" gives them to me and I'm on the way to purchase the amp for the subwoofers.

Attached Thumbnails Big Plans-screen-shot-2013-12-17-12.10.22-pm.jpg   Big Plans-screen-shot-2013-12-17-12.10.09-pm.jpg   Big Plans-screen-shot-2013-12-17-12.10.32-pm.jpg   Big Plans-screen-shot-2013-12-17-12.10.39-pm.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 458 Likes on 409 Posts

Hey man...I don't even know how much Johnson Rods are these days, but to me a much more effective use of $-resources is to get the IIDTool and use it to achieve your lift. It costs more money but it also allows you to read/clear faults and calibrate various systems including suspension.

I had modified rods and resisted the IIDTool for a while even after I owned one stating that I liked the "hardware solution." Once I decided to just use the IIDTool I have never looked back. The biggest benefit is that I can cruise around at stock height settings with my 32" MT/Rs on if I want to and just change to the modified higher settings once on the trail.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Hey man...I don't even know how much Johnson Rods are these days, but to me a much more effective use of $-resources is to get the IIDTool and use it to achieve your lift. It costs more money but it also allows you to read/clear faults and calibrate various systems including suspension.

I had modified rods and resisted the IIDTool for a while even after I owned one stating that I liked the "hardware solution." Once I decided to just use the IIDTool I have never looked back. The biggest benefit is that I can cruise around at stock height settings with my 32" MT/Rs on if I want to and just change to the modified higher settings once on the trail.
Yup, I was set on the rods as well but after thinking about it, it made no sense to get both. The iid takes care of it all at a reasonable price. It's nice to drop it down a little on long road trips and jack it up when you get to the trail.

Quick Reply: Big Plans